Riesentöter Forums
2012 Autocross Schedule - Printable Version

+- Riesentöter Forums (https://rtr-pca.org/forum)
+-- Forum: Club Activities (https://rtr-pca.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=24)
+--- Forum: Autocross (https://rtr-pca.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=32)
+--- Thread: 2012 Autocross Schedule (/showthread.php?tid=2906)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

- betegh9 - 03-03-2012

Looks like everyone is raising the bar by making mechanical or car changes..........I am still driving my 43 year old heap, the only improvement I made is that I changed my oil, and no newer car from RTR has come within a second (in actual times) to the RED EYE SPECIAL.  I must admit, I have been beaten by GT3's and a Cayman elsewhere.........What's wrong with you guys?Big GrinBig Grin:dude:

- csmith74 - 03-03-2012

Right on, Nick! Air breathers rule all those plumbers out there!

- MikeKling - 03-03-2012

That would be why I am the Grid Chief.  Less than two weeks before we show Schattenbaum the meaning of the word speed.

- Vytenis - 03-03-2012

betegh9 wrote:
Quote:Looks like everyone is raising the bar by making mechanical or car changes..........I am still driving my 43 year old heap, the only improvement I made is that I changed my oil, and no newer car from RTR has come within a second (in actual times) to the RED EYE SPECIAL. I must admit, I have been beaten by GT3's and a Cayman elsewhere.........What's wrong with you guys?Big GrinBig Grin:dude:

Nick,

I think you too may have one or two "mechanical changes", which would make your "43 year old heap" a little more capable than when it left the showroom.

Smile

- betegh9 - 03-04-2012

Vytenis wrote:
Quote:betegh9 wrote:
Quote:Looks like everyone is raising the bar by making mechanical or car changes..........I am still driving my 43 year old heap, the only improvement I made is that I changed my oil, and no newer car from RTR has come within a second (in actual times) to the RED EYE SPECIAL. I must admit, I have been beaten by GT3's and a Cayman elsewhere.........What's wrong with you guys?Big GrinBig Grin:dude:

Nick,

I think you too may have one or two "mechanical changes", which would make your "43 year old heap" a little more capable than when it left the showroom.

Smile

My point is that even the factory is taking so many years to build a better mouse trap.........Confusedhock:Tongue

- kelmore - 03-04-2012

Hey all
I am new to this and also new to owning a Porsche. I was told I should attend the AX events so I could understand better how to handle my vehicle. In reading through this forum I am trying to figure out which of the AX events would be best for my first time out. Also if you could confirm the things I need to bring, helmet, empty car, etc. I would be much obliged.

Kelley

- betegh9 - 03-04-2012

kelmore wrote:
Quote:Hey all
I am new to this and also new to owning a Porsche. I was told I should attend the AX events so I could understand better how to handle my vehicle. In reading through this forum I am trying to figure out which of the AX events would be best for my first time out. Also if you could confirm the things I need to bring, helmet, empty car, etc. I would be much obliged.

Kelley
Quote:Kelley, welcome to this nutty bunch. Yes, AX is the best place to get your feet wet and learn car control. Any and all the AX events are good start, and it is advisible to ask for an instructor to explain the mechanics of car balance. Also, look for car control clinics as well as test and tune days at various AX venues. You get lots of time as well as getting to know people who hang around most of the various events. If your car is road worthy, it most likely is AX worthy too. You may want to bring your own helmet, but there are loaners usually at the AX event but you may have to share someone elses sweat.
Quote:Once you arrive to the event, you want to remove any loose items from the car, register and take time to walk and memorize the course. Every event is different, so memorizing is most important. Yhe event organizers split the ax entrants so that while one group drives, the other group works at various asignments. work is not hard, just see what others are doing, and watch the good drivers on course, you also learn from that.
Quote:At the end of 6 or so runs, we usually find a good eatery to grab a sandwich and beer, and then talk about the day's happening.
Quote:

- kelmore - 03-04-2012

Thanks Nick. So the March 18 Warminster event is the next one, correct? From the posts on this forum it sounds like a crowded one. Is that true? Would this be a good first timer? There were also some comments about this being an advanced event. I just want to make sure the first time is enjoyable. Smile

- betegh9 - 03-04-2012

Warminster is an SCCA event.  It is probably the first event of the year, so many people will want to go to that one.  It is certainly not low key.  Organizers will be getting the bugs out of new rules and other logistics and timing equipment problems.  If you are a calm and patient person, you can roll with the punches.  I am sure that RTR members will be there to help you thru the ropes, just look for the group of Porsche fellows in the parking area.  Unfortunately I will be in south Jersey on that day, I won't be able to help.

- csmith74 - 03-04-2012

Welcome, Kelly! AX is a great way to have fun and test both you and your car in a safe environment. A bad day at DE can mean $40k in repairs, where a bad day in AX means you just got lost on the course too many times. As for our group, well, we're all crazy gearheads, leave it at that. The Warminster event is, I think, something called "test and tune". I'm not sure how many of us are going to it, just keep checking here on the forum. I have to miss it, but I'm planning on March 25th, either at Hershey or Philly, depending on where V's son John decides to try his first AX. Whatever event you decide to try, go for it! You'll have a blast, guaranteed. See you out there!