Riesentöter Forums
Financial Shakeup this weekend - Printable Version

+- Riesentöter Forums (https://rtr-pca.org/forum)
+-- Forum: General Discussion (https://rtr-pca.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=25)
+--- Forum: Off-Topic (https://rtr-pca.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=49)
+--- Thread: Financial Shakeup this weekend (/showthread.php?tid=1090)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37

- ccm911 - 03-17-2008

I thought we as a country practiced capitalism.  The reaction to the fall of Bear Stearns has me confused.  Why is the Fed going out of their way to free up capitol that will be given to large corporations?  After the greed they have shown, are we to believe that all of a sudden they will take these new funds and use them in a responsible, equitable manner?

And if a "mom and pop" business faces failure, will they be bailed out in the same manner?  Why do we continue with this most unfortunate phenomenon known as "Corporate Welfare"?  I hear a lot of folks in the club profess to be Republicans.  But doesn't the term "Republican" imply a "hands off" approach to business?  In good times and bad?

Anyone care to elaborate?  

- George3 - 03-17-2008

- dmano - 03-17-2008

NICE COMEBACK.

TELL ME WHY THE GAS COMPANIES ARE ALLOWED TO OVER PRICE GAS AND MAKE BILLIONS IN PROFIT? WHEN THEY COULD LOWER THE PRICES STILL MAKE A GREAT PROFIT AND REALLY HELP THE ECONOMY. WE DON'T HAVE A GOVERNMENT "FOR THE PEOPLE" ANY MORE, IT IS "FOR THE LARGE CORPORATIONS".

I HAD A SMALL FAMILY RUN BUSINESS. WHEN I NEEDED HELP THE SBA TOLD ME I WAS A WASP.  "NOT A DIVORCED FEMALE, OR A MINORITY OF ANY RACE OR COLOR, HE TOLD ME  I SHOULD HAVE BEEN ABLE TO GET A LOAN FROM A BANK. AND NOT TRY TO GET ONE FROM THE SBA .  THIS A DIRECT QUOTE FROM THE SBA LOAN OFFICER. I DID NOT MAKE THIS UP...... IF I WAS A LARGE CORPORATION THERE WOULD HAVE BEEN ALL KINDS OF LOANS, GRANTS AND TAX BRAKES. NOT ME

THIS GOVERNMENT IS REALLY STARTING TO PISS ME OFF.

ALL POLITICIANS NEED TO FOLLOW THE FOUNDER FATHERS LEAD, OR BE HUNG FROM A TREE FOR TREASON. THOMAS JEFFERSON WAS 'THE MAN'

I WILL SAY IT AGAIN. POLITICIANS SHOULD NOT BE PAID FOR THE POSITION, NO KICK BACKS EITHER. THEY SHOULD WANT TO DO IT FOR THE GOOD OF THE COUNTRY. WE WOULD BE FAR BETTER OFF HAVING SOMEONE RUN THE COUNTRY FOR THE GOOD OF THE PEOPLE NOT THE GOOD OF THE ALMIGHTY CORPORATE DOLLAR.

LARGE CORPORATIONS LIKE THAT ARE GOING TO BE THE DOWNFALL OF THE USA.

SCREW ALL THE FOREIGN COUNTRIES WE NEED TO START TAKING CARE OF OUR OWN FIRST.

SORRY FOR RANTING.

- dmano - 03-17-2008

VIDEO AT 7,  STOCK BROKERS JUMPING FROM BUILDINGS

YEE HAA

YES I DID AGREE WITH YOU.   O BOY Cool

- ccm911 - 03-17-2008

Points well taken, but I really do believe that we should let the cards fall as they may.  By discounting money, the theory is that an institution will buy the funds at one rate, and then resell at a higher rate, therefore making a profit.  But this is not the case lately.  There seems to be no profit.

And doesn't expanding available capital actually decrease the overall value, thus plunging us down further in terms of a deflating dollar?

As for our economy collapsing...did we really have a stong economy to begin with, if it was essentially built on the proverial "house of cards"? 

Dare I venture to say that it was a combination of overly greedy corporate criminals who actually held down prices of consumer goods in an effort to appease us "common folks" while all along, they were raping the coffers of the businesses they were paid to look after?  Don't believe me?  Here is what one of the editors of Fortune had to say:

The truth is that they've been relying on a highly-flawed business model for years. Put simply, Wall Street firms used towering leverage to make tons of money in a long-running bull market that blatantly underpriced risk. At the same time, they handed a huge chunk of the gains to employees in the form of excessive pay.

- dmano - 03-17-2008

HOW COME I DONT' HAVE ANY MANA

DOESN'T ANYBODY LIKE ME

- ccm911 - 03-17-2008

And lets finally rid the land of useless, greedy stockbrokers!!!!!!!!!

I agree with you both.  We have been raped by the government.

And yes, Thomas Jefferson was the most brilliant individual ever!!!  He must be rolling in his grave right now!!

- catchacab - 03-17-2008

dmano wrote:
Quote:HOW COME I DONT' HAVE ANY MANA

DOESN'T ANYBODY LIKE ME

NO!

Alright ,I just gave you some manna because you have chutzpa.

- catchacab - 03-17-2008

Here is my rant.  It will upset and offend many people, but so be it.

We are a country of pansy ass consumers.  We don't make anything anymore.  Our national strength, came from our industrial base that does not exist anymore.  Everyone wanted to have a white collar job, that is what everyone aspires to, become a computer geek, banker, accountant, or salesman.  Those who gets their hands dirty making something, be it  heavy machinery, ovens, televisions,  cars or door handles is looked down upon.  Our country needs ditch diggers too.  Our country was a place where most took pride with the work they did.  No longer, now it is all about making as much money as possible, while doing as little work as possible.  This applies to almost all segments of our society. 

When I was in college as a science major, I was amazed to see most of the grad students in the basic sciences (Chemistry and Physics )were Red Chinese.  Although they were not really going to get their hands dirty, they are now producing almost everything we use, from crappy lead laden toys, to heavy machinery.  Our country needs to place a greater emphasis on education that will produce a product, not some phonology, sociology, or political science major.  Learn to make, not consume.   Be productive.

The idea that everyone needs to live in a McMansion and own a premium car (any German, English, Swedish, or Lexus etc.) is crap.  Many people who work are leeches, and are very overpaid. Just because you sold a lot of widgets, doesn't mean that you deserve to make $500,000 or more a year.  Be a Doctor, own a business that employs, and supports many families, discover the cure for cancer, invent an energy source that doesn't rely on oil, and doesn't harm the environment; then you deserve to be wealthy.  Personally, I don't like living next to a bunch a scummy salesmen, lawyers and Realtors,who got there by ripping off others. 

I love to hate the personal injury lawyers, class action attorneys, basically almost all litigators.  I feel that they are the lowest of the low.  They only help themselves, not their clients.  Forty percent of the award plus inflated expenses.  The client walks away with an almost empty bag.

When Katrina hit the gulf coast and temporarily shut down a large number of oil refineries, gas prices skyrocketed.  Did the oil companies make the same amount of money or loose money compared to if this didn't happen?  No, they had their best quarter in their history.

If you believe the Democrats or Republican parties are for the people, you are sadly mistaken.  Washington DC, and Harrisburg is run primarily by lobbyists working for large corporations.  You want to change things there, then vote for Joe A. Hole independent, who doesn't take  campaign contributions.  Make all campaigns tax funded, and prohibit any gifts or other income from speaking engagement by our elected officials.  Then things will change! 

More to follow, time to spend with the wifeCool

- porsh111214 - 03-17-2008

I too have a very small family business that was devestated by hurricane and flood.  The SBA wanted my first born for collalateral.  I had to remortgage my paid for house and attempt to rebuild.  Just when I thought it was safe to go back  in the water, most of the accounts I sold too started closing or out sourcing to China(Bethlehem Steel), France(MACK Trucks), and others!  We have no durable goods here in this country to provide JOE Average and his family wages to live on.

When I went for back surgery and didn't go for therapy, the doc asked "Why?"  My response, "I have to work and provide for my family"  His response.."That's the best therapy".

I don't ask for pity and I don't ask the government to help me, But don't say one thing and do another.  The economy was sluggish but stable until January.  Gas prices wobbled.  Then some idiot in DC said things don't look so good.  The media heard it and now gas prices are rising every day, fuel oil is 3.59/gal, wheat flour has tripled, protein subsitutes are being bought by the Chinese, and high fructose corn syrup is in everything and contributes to obesty.  Im glad its only inflation!!!!!