Riesentöter Forums
Just broke front windshield, Tech question - Printable Version

+- Riesentöter Forums (https://rtr-pca.org/forum)
+-- Forum: Club Activities (https://rtr-pca.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=24)
+--- Forum: Driver's Education (https://rtr-pca.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=29)
+--- Thread: Just broke front windshield, Tech question (/showthread.php?tid=1245)

Pages: 1 2

- pmajka - 06-20-2008

I can Eff'n win.....Whilst installing the aluminum trim on the new rubber windshield seal, i cracked the Glass on the passenger side.  This will pass Pa State inspection, but will it pass Safety Tech, Or did i just buy a new front window?

- michael lang - 06-21-2008

Why would you buy a windshield? Take a minute, look at your insurance policy and see if you have a glass inclusion in your coverage. If you do, call, make a claim and be done with it. It can't hurt and glass claims are not reasons to raise your premium when it comes time for renewal. Best of luck!!

- George3 - 06-21-2008

.... bummer...:?

- bobt993 - 06-22-2008

It matters, where and how big.  Take pict, send it to the track chair for advice. You can reduce the likelyhood of it expanding by buying a special aircraft tape (transparent) used for small cracks.  I have seen racers do this for stress cracks on a car with a superstiff suspension.  You could also have the crack filled by Carisma, Mike Murphy is a club member.

- pmajka - 06-23-2008

its in the corner...verticle and maybe 8" long

- bobt993 - 06-23-2008

That's a bad hit.   While it is not in the field of vision, it may be a risk of popping out on the track.  The newer cars:  993 and up have the windshields glued in to add structural rigidity to the car.  The older ones "float" in a rubber gasket and are ropped in.  You may just need to replace it.  Go for the lighter cheaper glass or Lexan for added track safety and weight loss.  Problem with Lexan is you cannot use windshield wipers anymore, just Rainx.  Sad

- pmajka - 06-23-2008

bugger, Charisma dont fix cracks that big and they dont replace windows.

So who can replace a window (i dont wanna bugger another one) and what would be an estimate
88 911.

my Ins policy has $500 deductable on this...
bugger

- bobt993 - 06-23-2008

Your likely be just under the policy price.  Call for a rate locally from a bunch of places, they will come out and do it onsite or at their facillity.  Safelite is one, Google the area for a bunch more.   You do not want to do your own windshield.  It looks easy when they do it, but you will struggle with getting it out and back in spending 3X time that a pro needs.

- michael lang - 06-23-2008

bobt993 wrote:
Quote:Your likely be just under the policy price.

I don't know Bob, mine took a hit on 78 coming down here from Allentown one year. When I had my windshield replaced I don't know who was more surprised to find out that my windshield was $998.00 to replace, me or my insurance company.

Pmajka, what I would suggest is to call Knopf, or Brandywine, or Vision or whoever you use, get a price and availability on a windshield and then talk with one of the Service Advisors. Find out who they sublet those repairs to, and call them. Talk with the dispatcher and ask if they will work with your insurance company and do direct bill to them collecting only the deductible from you or is it going to be your responsibilty to be reimbursed. Word of CAUTION: if this is covered and you decide to go this route, DO NOT just accept who your insurance company refers you to. Remember, the only thing they are looking at is spending as little as possible. Just as Bob has noted this job requires a certain amount of experience and to do this job the proper way it will not be cheap. 2ND Word of CAUTION: aftermarket glass does not fit anywhere close to factory windshields. Your insurance company will pony up the extra money if you are insistant enough. It will be their pleasure just to get you out of their hair if anything else. Good luck.

- bobt993 - 06-23-2008

michael lang wrote:
Quote:bobt993 wrote:
Quote:

Michael, Glass replacement is provided by sublet companies at dealerships all day long. Mercedes, BMW, and yes Porsche do contract outfits to do this task. I am surprised you were willing to pay that much to replace a windshield on an older car. (Prior to the 993/996 platforms). My glass replacement estimate was way less than that had I opted not to install Lexan. If you check around, you will find it very reasonable to do it right.

I had a windshield damaged some 20years ago on Mercedes SL in our shop. The client wanted only the dealership to replace it. My glass replacement contact gave me an estimate of 280.00 for Seiklert glass (same as factory). Dealership wanted 1100.00 installed. The client insisted on the dealership. When he picked up the vehicle, guess who's truck was leaving as he got the keys. The client felt so guilty, he called me and offered to pay half of what was still a 4X markup.