Riesentöter Forums
Automotive Design...... - Printable Version

+- Riesentöter Forums (https://rtr-pca.org/forum)
+-- Forum: General Discussion (https://rtr-pca.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=25)
+--- Forum: Off-Topic (https://rtr-pca.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=49)
+--- Thread: Automotive Design...... (/showthread.php?tid=1486)

Pages: 1 2

- ccm911 - 12-23-2008

Is it just me or has design within the automotive arena just become non-existent?  I mean, Mercdes should just give it up on design, when Hyundai design is so far superior.  For that matter, Scion also has some good design.  Hmmm.  So does Volkswagen.

So what happened to Mercedes, BMW, and Audi?  They all look alike.

Quite a disturbing trend.

- APXD 30 - 12-26-2008

Chris, buddy, you're sounding like my grandmother who can't tell the difference between a Buick, Chevy, or Ford "these days."

Hyundai made a carbon copy of the 5 series and slapped on a generic grill.   I will agree that their proposed new coupe is attractive and mostly original with some Lexus IS inspiration.

In my opinion, BMW has/had lost its way with the Bangle designs.   However, there are glimmers of hope.   I was never a Z4 fan but the M Coupe makes the design and the '09 version looks even better.    The 1/3/5/X3/X5 won't offend anyone and the horrid 7 is already fixed.

Who could argue the classic looks of a E class or stately S class?  The SLR is somewhat Batmanesque but really, who's really in the market for one?  Watch some movies from the last four decades.   The S is always timeless as the current version  will be in the future.

The styling Cinderella story, in my opinion, is what's going on at Audi.   I drive a grocery getter A4 which has boring styling.   I bought it b/c it was the least expensive, most economical, AWD sedan from Germany (still miss my E class).   

Their new cars actually are exciting in an aggressive Teutonic way (like BMW used to be).    Other makers are already imitating Audi's grill which debuted on the A6 a few years ago.   How long until an Asian manufacturer copies the LED lights from the A8, A5, etc?

These comments are obviously subjective.   The good news is that the used car market is the perfect place to pick up your favorite past design at a great value.  

- STEVEMCMORN - 12-28-2008

As Porsche guys, I don't think we can really b*tch on about the non-exist designs of other manufacturers as Porsche designers are the laziest of the bunch:

The 911 design has not changed in years
The 924 was an Audi
The Cayman is a boxster with a top on
The Cayenne is plain ugly

and the new Panamera is just a stretched 911 with sections welded into the hood and rear seats ...... it's ALMOST as ugly as the Cayenne

- ccm911 - 12-30-2008

STEVEMCMORN wrote:
Quote:As Porsche guys, I don't think we can really b*tch on about the non-exist designs of other manufacturers as Porsche designers are the laziest of the bunch:

The 924 was an Audi

and the new Panamera is just a stretched 911 with sections welded into the hood and rear seats ...... it's ALMOST as ugly as the Cayenne

Hey, I didn't want to say it, but you, my friend hit the nail on the head! They just lack originality. I mean, the only one I would say is good would be the 911. But it has gotten a bit soft-looking compared to the old ones.

And I will give props to the new BMW 1 series coupe. Someone obviously applied themself and the result shows. A nice tight little package.

- catchacab - 12-30-2008

STEVEMCMORN wrote:
Quote:As Porsche guys, I don't think we can really b*tch on about the non-exist designs of other manufacturers as Porsche designers are the laziest of the bunch:

The 924 was an Audi

I think you would look good in an Edsel!Big Grin

- Vytenis - 12-30-2008

Are we confusing style with performance?  Plenty of cars can look great, but their beauty is only skin deep.  Form follows function.  I think it's great that the basic  design of the 911 is a very capable car from it's inception through today.

- George3 - 12-30-2008

catchacab wrote:
Quote:STEVEMCMORN wrote:
Quote:and the new Panamera is just a stretched 911 with sections welded into the hood and rear seats ...... it's ALMOST as ugly as the Cayenne
I think you would look good in an Edsel!Big Grin
Lot's of cars are love-it / hate-it designs, but I happen to like the look of the Cayenne. Don't worry E... Steve has already has an Edsel... I think it's Arctic Silver!Big GrinBig GrinBig Grin

- Ccns23 - 12-31-2008

Even though the Cayman is "a boxter with a top on" I personally think it's much better looking than the 911. But ya, Porsche is a bit lazy on the design. However, as a complete package it's hard to top any Porsche (well, with the exception of the Panamera....it just does NOT look good @ any angle.)

- George3 - 01-01-2009

The jury is still out with me on the Panamera. 

Like many "progressive" designs, some of them need to grow on you.  Back in the '80's, I purchased an '87 928S4.  At the time, it was considered the bastard child of Porsche.  But, I was extremely delighted with mine.  True, it went against the grain of the air cooled and 6 cylinder engines, but it was a performer in its day.

- emayer - 01-01-2009

George, I always knew you had good taste!  Big Grin

Seems like Porsche and others are in a no win situation.  On one hand they're chided for slowly evolving or "old" designs yet when they introduce novel concepts there is an upswell against these too.

One thing is for certain, cars like the 928, Cayenne and likely the Panamerra revolutionize their segments from a technological and performance perspective if not from asthetics alone.  I think part of the issue nowadays facing exterior design concerns aerodynamic, safety, broader marketability, and cross platform restrictions being placed.  Arguably, some of the most beautiful cars were crafted in the 1930-50's.

BTW, I welcome anyone to visit my garage if you think present MB or Audi designs are stale.  I guarantee you'll have a different impression afterward!

Happy New Year!  -E