Riesentöter Forums
Mandatory Work Assignments - Printable Version

+- Riesentöter Forums (https://rtr-pca.org/forum)
+-- Forum: Club Activities (https://rtr-pca.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=24)
+--- Forum: Driver's Education (https://rtr-pca.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=29)
+--- Thread: Mandatory Work Assignments (/showthread.php?tid=1535)

Pages: 1 2

- George3 - 01-13-2009

I just received a request from NNJR to complete a survey regarding their mandatory work assignments. 

http://www.surveymonkey.com/s.aspx?sm=VofGZuZJ_2bS8qekWvBO_2fL6g_3d_3d

Apparently, they are considering changing them or eliminating work assignments completely.  I've driven with a lot of clubs and the only two regions I'm aware that have them is RTR and NNJR.

How do you feel about mandatory work assignments?  

Do you think it's a good idea to have experienced track folks guiding you out at staging and other critical areas of the track? 

How would you feel if those same individuals at staging/etc were newbie's that didn't have a clue as to what they were doing? 

Is there a newbie benefit to learn on the job and possibly become more involved with DE in the future as a result of work assignments?

- KennyB - 01-13-2009

I think work assignments are a bit of a pain, but necessary.  It would be helpful for seasoned trackers to be with each shift to help use "no-clue" newbies learn what is important.  It's just another aspect of the sport that I enjoy picking up, even though inconvenient at times.

I have been impressed with the level of attention paid to staging, etc. and adds to sense of safety first.

- michael lang - 01-13-2009

Most I have talked with don't like doing the work assignments, I mean think about it, who in their right mind really wants to stand around in a specific area during run groups with nothing to do. It's almost as if the work assignment takes forever to end. And when it's raining and/or cold time stands still. In my opinion, they are a neccessity and someone has to do them so there's really no point in bitching about it. Do the assignment, get it over with, and enjoy the rest of the weekend!!

- AMoore - 01-14-2009

The problem is that there is no consistency with respect to work assignments.  Many times people do not check out the car or wristband.  Many times people do not even know what to look for.  I don't necessarily trust a newbie to look at an undercarriage after a car goes off track.  Also, sometimes there are too many people stationed and sometimes not enough.

I think its important, however, for all drivers to become familiar with these procedures.  Why not make work assignments a 1-10 minute segment of the first DE class of the weekend?

- ninjabones - 01-14-2009

I have no issue with work assignments; however, I do have an issue with absolutely useless duties that NNJR seams to have "out-of-network" guys like me perform.  Standing at the front gate at NJMP is totally retarded. It's an open paddock (meaning anyone is allowed to come in and use the cafeteria or visit CDOC, so what is the purpose of checking wrist-bands? Anyone can come in the paddock area anyway.  Additionally, there's already security stationed at the front gait.  This is the type of work assignment that bugs me with NNJR.

I have no issue manning up and doing my part when it comes to pit-out or tech line.   It's also a nice way to meet people.  Sure, I'd rather pay an extra $10-15 bucks on top of my registration fee to hire a crew to do it, but I have no complaints about reasonable work assignments.

- catchacab - 01-14-2009

I don't drive with NNJR due to their work policies.  I was at an event of their's at the Glen.  On the last day, I cooked my brake fluid, but it was also my "DAY" to work the tower.  We had eight people in the tower (responsibility was to listen to the radio and determine who the corner workers were talking about and to be the communication radio center for the club).  I asked if I could take some time to bleed my brakes.  The person in charge told me that is what your run session is for.  During my run session, I packed up my stuff and left.  I have not and will not run with NNJR because of this.  The shame is that their members are very nice. 

My personal problem with work assignments is not the work, but the scheduling.  I generally will leave an event at lunch on the last day.  I do this so I may get home and spend some time with my family.  If I am scheduled to work the afternoon of the second day I cannot do that.  PCA is a volunteer organization.  I have volunteered to work the tech in the past, because I wanted to contribute.  My feeling is that pit out, etc should be handled by experienced hired people, not two attendees from each run group. 

- Tony356993 - 01-16-2009

Quote:I don't drive with NNJR due to their work policies.

+1

It is very funny how track supply is now greater then track demand and how all of the sudden the "customers" feelings are important.

People will spend their hard earned (and a little more scarce) money where they feel they are getting the most enjoyment. It is supposed to be a fun weekend. If one can only afford (the cash or the time away from work/family) a certain number of de days, will the person pick driving Jefferson with NNJR?

Common Sense 101

- George3 - 01-16-2009

Most clubs designate a Track Steward at pit-out for staging check, wrist band check, radio control, and other related duties.  Once the cars are out on the track, there's not much more to do.

- TwentySix - 01-16-2009

+1 ^^^

First, a big thanks to the folks in our track program for all the time and energy they put into our events  Smile

I love to run with the group, but last year voted with my feet... I only ran one day with RTR (Summit after Jefferson) and was given the whole afternoon shift at pit out, same as those who ran all 3 days.  If I run with Schattenbaum for instance, there is no work assignment and a discount for being an uninstructed driver, they also allow you to run only one day at any of their events if you want.   Seems like a pretty straightforward decision to me, as a mom I'm "on" 24x7 and have to choose where I'm going to get the most for my time and money. 

- TwentySix - 01-16-2009

http://rtr.mywowbb.com/forum1/1329.html

and no one ever answered Larry....