Riesentöter Forums
Tire Recommendation? - Printable Version

+- Riesentöter Forums (https://rtr-pca.org/forum)
+-- Forum: Club Activities (https://rtr-pca.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=24)
+--- Forum: Driver's Education (https://rtr-pca.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=29)
+--- Thread: Tire Recommendation? (/showthread.php?tid=1764)

Pages: 1 2

- cjbcpa - 07-18-2009

Looks like I will need new rear tires for Watkins Glen and I am looking for recommendations. I am currently running Yokohama AO48's. The tires are fine, but they wear like crazy. At their current rate, I'm on track to need two sets per season. I'm looking for something in a similar price and performance range that should give me at least a season. I'd like something bi-directional so I can swap side to side for better wear. I'm forced into this because one side is significantly worn.

I put new A048 fronts on just before Lightning. Are there significant issues with mixing brands/compounds front and rear?

Thanks in advance.

CB

- geza - 07-18-2009

Yes, there are issues with mixing brands. Different characteristics of various brands lead to tricky handling.

Go ahead and switch from side to side. Directionality is only important in the wet. (And only if you still have grooves in the tires)

Recommendations:
  1. Hoosiers are great for stick but wear quickly.[/*]
  2. Michelin Sport Cups are next best for stick and last longer than Hoosiers. Downside may be price.[/*]
  3. Toyo is probably the best compromise for grip, price and wear.[/*]
  4. Some people have started using BF Goodrich. I do not have any recent experience with them. Perhaps others could chime in.[/*]

Suggestion: Try about –2.2 deg of camber. It will help your wear on the track, but don’t expect too much life if you use the car as a daily driver.

- fasthonda - 07-18-2009

hi.

i agree with geza about swapping and rotating;  even if they have directionality, it is only really important in the rain.  i rotate and swap all my race tires to keep the wear even....

your best bet would be to try and locate a set of new Toyo RA-1s;  these are tough to find, cause the new Toyo 888 has replaced them.  but, the RA-1 lasts much longer and is more durable.   also, you might look into the Nitto NT-01;  it is quite durable and has good grip.  reasonable price, too.

good luck!

todd

- delanckc - 07-18-2009

I ran Nitto NT-01's through last season and first two events this year.  They were used set I purchased a while back.  Good feel and very durable.  They are louder than other tires.

For the three day Lightning I had all new MSPC's.  They were very good and held up well.  I'm still getting used to them.  Others that have had them like how they last.  I can't say anything about durability as these are my first set. 

I run 245' on 16 inch rims all the way around.  This helps significantly with wear and tear.  Your avatar looks like a 944.  I run one as well.

I would not mix brands.

Kevin

- Queboss - 07-20-2009

I just got Dunlop Direzza Sport and they are pretty good, but not as good as Hoosier or Toyo. People who used them said they last longer and it's worth the money.

- cjbcpa - 07-20-2009

Thanks for all the replies. I've gotten a number of comments here and elsewhere strongly advising against mixing brands/compounds. Therefore, Since I just put a set of A048's on the fronts for Lightning, I think I'm in for another set of rears.

I'll just have to drive them hard enough to wear out simultaneously ;-)

CB

- George3 - 07-21-2009

I'll second Todd's vote on the Nitto NT-01's.  I had great success with them last year on my Evo.  This year the Evo is running the BF Goodrich R1's and seems to have a bit more grip.  Many say the R1's are a cheaper alternative to the Hoosier's and last longer.  Hoosier's have more grip, though.

- delanckc - 07-21-2009

I probably would have stayed with NT01's due to the fact that they are nearly bullet proof.  Long wear and cheaper cost.  The MPSC's I purchased were on sale for about the same price from Tire Rack and I couldn't find NT01 in time for the event.

As mentioned earlier, I've only run one event with the MPSC's but satisfied so far.

Kevin

- StoogeMoe203 - 07-21-2009

What kind of wear are you getting?  Are you wearing out the insides, outsides, or front versus back?  Maybe it's time to think about upgrading springs, sway bars, and camber plates to get a more balanced setup, and get more even wear on the tires.

If you're running a stock 944 turbo, they have quite a bit of understeer which will wear the tires in the front faster. 

- cjbcpa - 07-21-2009

The car is currently a stock 951. The wear on the fronts was primarily the inside of the front passenger side tire.

The rears lasted a couple events longer until the drivers side rear began to show a lot of wear. This was right after Lightning and the PnP Autocross event.

The A048's have a wear rating of 60 which I understand is very low so they're expected to wear more quickly. Could also be the car set up and let's not forget the driver could probably be smoother too.

I'm adding the M030 sway bars front and rear this week. Additional suspension work will have to wait until the winter

CB