Riesentöter Forums
Replacing a broken windshield - Printable Version

+- Riesentöter Forums (https://rtr-pca.org/forum)
+-- Forum: Tech (https://rtr-pca.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=22)
+--- Forum: Ask the Tech Chair (https://rtr-pca.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=34)
+--- Thread: Replacing a broken windshield (/showthread.php?tid=1941)

Pages: 1 2

- JIMK - 10-08-2009

Can anyone tell me if a lexan windshield is street legal?

I need to replace my winshield in my "track car" that I drive to the track. 

- Brian Minkin - 10-08-2009

Lexan windshields are not DOT approved and the Pa inspection law requires safety glass for the windshield.  If you put a banner on the windshield it will cover up the etching indicating it is plastic and not DOT.  I do not know if an inspection station would pick up on it being plastic if this is not visible.

- Darren - 10-08-2009

Lexan scratches easy and you can't use wipers on them easily.  It's probably not worth it to do unless its an all-out race car.

I use wipers on mine and so far no scratches. 

- Darren - 10-08-2009

For track only it will last a little while.  Street/track forget it.  I put a lexan windshield in my 996 race car but I'm expecting to have to replace it every 3 years or so.  Still at $500 it's 1/3 the price of the Porsche glass.

I went through 2 glass windshields in 1 year.  Stone shots on the track caused large cracks.  Lexan has been in for a year and no damage other then sand blasting which is to be expected. I do drive it occasionaly on the street and have been in the rain on the street.  There are certainly different qualities of Lexan.  I do not remeber the manufactiurer but will look it up if anyone is interested. It is thicker then some I have seen. Cost is about $450 compared to $1200 for glass for my car.

- JIMK - 10-09-2009

Any direction on suppliers would be helpful.  

I am in the fortunate position to have "comp" on the insurance and my replacement should cost ME 50$ regardless of what I put in... I think.  I haven't broached the lexan with the ins. co.  and would hope not to have to tell them either.

Further discussion or views only make for a more informed decision; thanks guys!

- ninjabones - 10-09-2009

Any of you guys use Tear-offs to protect the lexan?  Apparently, they can be purchased for something like $150 (for three tear-offs).  Each tear-off can purportedly get you through one season. I have also heard (but can't verify) that you can use your wipers with the tear-offs in place. 

My windshield is marginal with one expanding crack... so I'm likely going to need to replace soon.  Given that any weight I remove will have to be added back in as ballast, I was leaning toward glass.  Don't insurance carriers replace cracked glass without much question or investigation as to the cause?

- Darren - 10-09-2009

ninjabones wrote:
Quote:Don't insurance carriers replace cracked glass without much question or investigation as to the cause?
Depends on the carrier -- Allstate would when I had them, Geico which I have now does not.

- TwentySix - 10-09-2009

ninjabones wrote:
Quote:Any of you guys use Tear-offs to protect the lexan? Apparently, they can be purchased for something like $150 (for three tear-offs). Each tear-off can purportedly get you through one season. I have also heard (but can't verify) that you can use your wipers with the tear-offs in place.

We went with the 4 layer tearoff from Cole Motorsports, it was $275. They make 1, 2 and 4 layer tearoffs for 911, 944, 996 and several other kinds of sportscar applications... check out the installation video on the same page. I installed it myself in the middle of last summer on the GT3 Cup, and we are still on the first sheet, it held up really well and it also adds some strength against flying objects. The installation is similar to floating vinyl graphics in place using slightly soapy water and a squeegee, also had to trim it a little. Very happy with it and probably leave the first layer on until spring.