Riesentöter Forums
Turn Signals and DE's - Printable Version

+- Riesentöter Forums (https://rtr-pca.org/forum)
+-- Forum: Club Activities (https://rtr-pca.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=24)
+--- Forum: Driver's Education (https://rtr-pca.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=29)
+--- Thread: Turn Signals and DE's (/showthread.php?tid=2076)

Pages: 1 2

- delanckc - 12-29-2009

I had a conversation with a fellow RTR'r last evening and we discussed several topics related to DE.  We discussed how passing is handled in europeon based DE's.  Instead of using the hand out the window approach, they use the turn signal to display the path the driver being overtaken is heading and that the pass is opposite of the signal. 

It seems logical (and safer) to use a method that all drivers use in their daily driving rather than sticking your arm out the window with one hand on the wheel.  We constantly talk about people with alligator arms when signaling and people being late to signal.  I would think using the turn signal of the car would allow for earlier signals and enhance the safety aspect.

Start the discussion....

Kevin

- Brian Minkin - 12-29-2009

I would find the path opposite the signal confusing (counter intuitive).  But I have driven in programs that used the turn signal (right signal if you wanted the car overtaking you to pass on the right) and it worked except for one issue. Once the signal goes on every car behind you will take it as a passing signal to them if you do not shut it off quickly. I thought it created many dangerous situations when a driver started to turn in not realizing that a 2nd or third car was going for the pass after the driver kept the signal on for an extended period of time.  I believe hand signals that are distinctive for each car you want to have pass are the safest way to coexists on a race track.  The only place turn signals are needed is for night sessions.

- George3 - 12-29-2009

I was instructing at a Watkins Glen NASA event earlier this year and a handicap driver was entered into the HPDE.  He could not use hand signals, so at the driver's meeting everyone was informed to watch for the Mini Cooper's turn signals and pass on the signal side. 

- cjbcpa - 12-30-2009

So what will the penalty be for forgetting to turn it off and driving the whole circuit with a blinker on?

Bound to happen ;-)

- ninjabones - 12-30-2009

I'm in favor of the hand signal over the blinker for the reasons that Brian mentioned. However, of more concern to me is the inability to use my driver side window net in DEs.  I can sneak a finger or two out to signal a pass on the left, but can't get my arm out the window enough to signal a pass to the right over the roof of the car.  Not sure why (perhaps in advanced groups), for passes to the right, we can't just point the next driver by with a quick hand signal inside the cockpit with the right hand (something that is commonly done in racing when signalling faster out-of-class cars).

- bobt993 - 12-30-2009

That only happens in Florida with big old Cadillacs.

- George3 - 12-30-2009

bobt993 wrote:
Quote:That only happens in Florida with big old Cadillacs.
They're not so big anymore Smile

- Darren - 12-30-2009

I've heard of some clubs using turn signals but they are usually events where signals are optional.

Just start racing Kevin so you don't have to worry about signals.

- betegh9 - 12-30-2009

If I wana go left, I blink to the left and the passing car to my right, or is it the other way around? Hummmm!

Daren has the right idea............ go racing and forget DE.  In the mean time, the rest should just use the left hand and the middle finger.  Confusedhock:SmileSmile:dude::dude:

- Terry - 12-30-2009

I'm not sure the window net is really needed in a DE. Isn't it easily dropped?