Riesentöter Forums
Need assistance - engine removal - Printable Version

+- Riesentöter Forums (https://rtr-pca.org/forum)
+-- Forum: Club Activities (https://rtr-pca.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=24)
+--- Forum: Driver's Education (https://rtr-pca.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=29)
+--- Thread: Need assistance - engine removal (/showthread.php?tid=2117)

Pages: 1 2

- cjbcpa - 02-12-2010

As described in my insurance saga a few episodes ago, I repurchased my wrecked 951 in order to either strip the good parts or ultimately rebuild. I have slowly been taking things apart as per the factory service manual in preparation for dropping the engine. I've reached the conclusion that this is not the sort of thing I want to do solo, especially on my first attempt.

Are there any RTR's that are experienced in this sort of thing that would be generous enough to lend a hand? I have a pretty well equipped shop and all the items necessary to perform the removal, just looking for a mid-wife to help with the delivery. Compensation in the form of coffee-donuts/pizza-beer depending on the time of day.

I'm located off the Quakertown interchange of the NE extension. Happy to make this a tech session if that will benefit others.

TIA,

CB

- StoogeMoe203 - 02-12-2010

Chris, I have experience removing engines from 944s and installing them back in.   I did this on my Goldie all by myself.  I haven't done a turbo yet, but I think the only extra pain is the crossover pipe.

I have all the notes on the steps that need to be done, so it goes pretty straight forward.  The only thing that took me time was cutting off rusted bolts on the exhaust down tube.  Getting to two bolts on the torque tube are hard too, so you will need an assortment of extensions and flex joints.

The only thing special you will need is an engine hoist and stands or lift that can raise the car up by about 24 inches.  I have removed engines both by the top and the bottom, and the bottom is the much easier approach.

I may be able to lend my "expertise".  Just let me know when you are available.

- delanckc - 02-12-2010

Interested in the tech session if my calendar allows.  I'll be of little use other than cranking a few.  I started to work on my own 944 to replace the clutch a while back then thought better of it.  I didn't have the tools.  I'd like to see an engine removal.

Kevin

- fasthonda - 02-13-2010

hi.  i have no experience working on 944s!  but, i believe larry herman is sort of an 'expert' with them;  i believe that he's done a full engine rebuild on a 944T not too long ago;  if i remember correctly, there were a few 'tricks of the trade' involved with working on these cars, especially the Turbo.  see if you can hook up with him, maybe?  good luck!

- Darren - 02-13-2010

It's a PITA job.  Some of those bolts are total pains, esp involving the turbo, and they are one flat at a time.  Shops normally charge about $1000 to remove and $1000 to install.

- cjbcpa - 02-14-2010

PM's sent.

- betegh9 - 02-14-2010

Take the heap to Precision Motor Works in Califon, NJ. Will DiGiovanni is the EXPERT on these cars, or find Pete Fitzpatrick of our region, who also knows Will very well.

- cjbcpa - 02-21-2010

Jim Mertz and I successfully delivered a 2.5 liter bouncing 4 cylinder motor Saturday. It wasn't nearly as hard as I had led myself to believe. While I had done most of the difficult parts already, I was very grateful to have an experienced helper to do the final pull. There were a few little things not mentioned in the service manual that Jim wisely focused on. Next step is to have an experienced shop take a look and tell me if the tub can be rebuilt. Couple photos attached.

CB

- cjbcpa - 02-21-2010

After the cross member and steering was put back on.

- cjbcpa - 02-21-2010