Riesentöter Forums
Summit Point Race Weekend Recap - Printable Version

+- Riesentöter Forums (https://rtr-pca.org/forum)
+-- Forum: Club Activities (https://rtr-pca.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=24)
+--- Forum: Club Racing (https://rtr-pca.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=37)
+--- Thread: Summit Point Race Weekend Recap (/showthread.php?tid=2142)

- bobt993 - 04-19-2010

Great weekend for racing at Summit Point.  The track was repaved, er sort of.   Basically a giant patch laid a little more than a car width on the preferred line all the way around the track.  The good news is it is very smooth and level.  Bad news is it needs more grip.  R tires and slicks actually squeel on it.  Darren and I were the only RTRs racing this weekend since George B and Todd were working on fine tuning the EVO.   

RACE ONE:  

I lost my practice time when my throttle cable stuck WO going into T3 Confusedhock: and had to "clutch in, car off, steering hard to avoid going into a the gravel" all this happened while entering the turn at about 90mph.   I managed to keep in on track and limped to the pits.  The little rubber bushing that sits in the tunnel sleeve had come off and slid up the cable. I had check all this while cleaning the car, but this is what happens when you race cars.  Thorough check out and all is well now (added some silicone lubricant to the fitting too).    Qualifying was going to be practice and I managed to get pole by .01 secs.  Darren grided up 4th in class as he is still chasing braking ABS issues. 

The class up (GTS4) had a rookie driver with a very fast SMG M series BMW ahead of me, but he grided wrong and slotted behind P1 (supposed to be side by side) leaving my class competitor (Eric Wong) with a clear lane to the front at the start.   I lost position in the first corner and had to chase for 4 or 5 laps until Eric made a very slight mistake in T1 hitting the marbles.  I jumped at the opportunity and moved into 1st.   I expected Eric to charge back, but he became entangled in the higher horsepower GTS4 cars that were initially behind us.  That allowed me to scoot away for the rest of the race.  Darren ended up in a similar battle that Eric Wong was having working real hard to pass a car only to be repassed by massive horsepower on the front straight.    My best lap was a 1:21.2 which set a new track record.   I ran my tires from last year, since I am yet to afford the proper rims for the wide body package I added to the car so I pretty stoked by how well the car performs now.    Great race overall little incidents..... but that was Saturday.Sad

RACE 2:

Qualified 2nd by using practice rims and saving what was left of the old tires.  Darren fixed the ABS issue somewhat, but we discovered he was running way too much wing for Summit Point so Qualifying held him back in 4th.   If you ever thought developing a race car was easy, just ask Darren how much time he has put into his.  This was a 40min race so it was likely the tires would not last.   Same SMG BMW up front, this time I was next to him on the outside.  He got the start right, but I had practiced a rim shot in qualifying for an outside pass on him knowing he would overbrake for T1.   My gamble paid off and I made a clear run at T1 moving  in just behind P1.  As I looked back in mirror to come across and defend the run to T3, I saw the BMW spinning in the middle of T1 causing major carnage.  He took out a couple of cars including himself.   We went full course yellow under pace car.  Darren broke his shifter in the chaos to avoid contact and had parked his car in T3 off track.  I was surprised to find out he managed to get back on track, limp to the pits and fix the car himself to finish the race in 3rd place!!!  The full course yellow gave him a chance to get back out there which showed true determination on his behalf.    Track went back green and we raced hard through the field of American Iron cars ( Mustangs, Factory 5s, Camaros)  these cars have the same if not more horsepower, but do not handle like the Bimmers and Porsches.  10 laps in I could actually see Eric a turn ahead so a pushed as hard as the tires would allow pulling off 1:20's passing traffic in the process.   Into the shoot T4, Eric stopped tapping his brakes, but went flat out in 5th gear as a  Pro driver had told him to do on Saturday.  Well like penguins, I followed attempting the same commitment.  It worked, but  your life flashes in front of you everytime you attempt it.   At that point Eric found me in his mirrors.  We ran wheel to wheel the last couple of laps and ended up side by side  through the carousel T6-T9, but I just could not get him .  I ended up 2nd and the both Eric and eclipsed the old record pushing it to 1:20.7 where I just edged him out by a tenth.  He get's first that day, pick pocketed his track record, fair trade.Big Grin

Signing out, back to the day job and earning a living. 

Bob T.

- George3 - 04-19-2010

It was good to see you and Darren on Saturday.  What a stroke of luck we were parked together!  Great job on Saturday, Bob !!!  Congratulaltions!  I'm proud that the RTR guys are doing so well in the NASA races.  You have your car set up pretty well.  Darren, I really like what you've done with your car, too!  Looks great.

Yes, we were tweaking the Evo and have everything pretty well 98% nailed down now.  I was supposed to enter the Time Trials event on Saturday, but couldn't b/c of a technicality.  Bummer.  But . . .  "I'll Be Baak..."  next time.

- magnetic1 - 04-27-2010

Nice job Bob. Looking forward to getting my record back next event Wink

Competition was good, but I dunno if I can handle this not partying and drinking Sat night thing :O

Where is the video!!!!??

- bobt993 - 04-27-2010

Eric,  you will get it back I am sure. Wink  I got back and was sick up until now.  I also was swamped at work.  I will try and get it done tomorrow.  Your going to laugh big time at my antics on race 1 trying to get the GTS4 car to move freakin over.   When I saw your video,  I realized just how bad the timing was on your bobble in T1.  That guy really got in the middle of our race.

- magnetic1 - 04-27-2010

that bobble totally sucked. I was on the radio w/ Skeen going..

"DAMMIT MIKE!! I TOTALLY just EFFED UP!!! Crap crap, now I lost P1!!!!" Sad