Riesentöter Forums
Watkins Glen Club Race Recap - Printable Version

+- Riesentöter Forums (https://rtr-pca.org/forum)
+-- Forum: Club Activities (https://rtr-pca.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=24)
+--- Forum: Driver's Education (https://rtr-pca.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=29)
+--- Thread: Watkins Glen Club Race Recap (/showthread.php?tid=2325)

- ninjabones - 05-31-2010

Just got back from a great weekend at Watkins Glen for the PCA "Clash at the Glen" club race.  Many RTR'ers in attendance including Kenny Nielson, Doug Fero, Jim & Mitch Reading, Dave Schenk, John Gianonne, and Myles Diamond.  Unfortunately, I couldn't stay for the Sunday enduro, so I only got to run in the two sprint races on Saturday.

Seven cars showed up for G-class (including my car), and we ran together in the Blue group along with cars from E through H.  H class was definitely the hot-class for the weekend with about 20 cars (including a lot of local guys like Pete Tremper, Pete Debusman, Dave Schenk, Doug Fero, Jim Reading, Dan Petchel).  The blue run group had 65 cars, and the spread from the front runner to the slowest car was only about 15 seconds, and less than 2 second lap time difference between the five cars that qualified in front of me and the five cars behind.  Needless to say, making a pass was going to take a lot of work.

I was shooting for second or third in the sprints, as I knew I had no chance against Baron Jacobs (son of Dan Jacobs of Hairy Dog Garage fame).  He has been crushing track records all season by more than 2 seconds, and he was running low 2:10s in practice/qualifying (close to the G-class track record).  He was not only beating all the other G-class cars by more than 2 seconds, but also all but two of the H-class cars.  My best times at the Glen from cups and saucers two weeks ago was 2:11.8 (clear track and ideal conditions), and  I just couldn't get my times back in that range in practice, both due to sorting some suspension issues, weather conditions, and traffic management with 65 cars on track (and probably also due to nerves).

For Sprint #1 on Saturday, my biggest rival was Dan Ryalls in the blue/white 944 turbo cup, who qualified one spot in front of me (outside lane).  Dan R and I battled hard last year at T-bolt and I knew he was going to be tough this year due to a re-classing that allowed him to drop 200 lbs from his car.  But I also had a few tricks up my sleeve for him (including stiffer springs, adjustable dampers, and a pretty radical alignment courtesy of Peter Dawe).  Dave Schenk was right in front of me (black 996 H car) and right in front of him was Harry Kintzi (H class black 993 with clubsport aero package).  Those guys know how to drive very "wide" and I knew that if either of  them got between me and Dan R, I likely wasn't going to catch him.  Barron Jacob (green RSA) qualified first in G class and about 15 spots in front of me, so I knew I had no chance for the G-class win (unless he wrecked or had mechanical issues).

Here's the link to the first sprint race:  http://www.vimeo.com/12151846

I didn't have a chance to edit the video, but the race starts at 7:32.  I have a pretty bad start, but was able to pass Dan up the esses.  He passes me back at #8.  I spend basically the rest of the race trying to catch up to him (double yellow from 21:00 to 33:55).  He's consistently faster out of the toe and up the hill (the stock 993 gearing blows and I'm really bogged down in third there), but I consistently catch him up the esses.  Finally, on the last lap, I'm able to make the pass coming out of the esses at 39:00.  Took second in G-class and 13th overall.

Sprint race #2:  http://www.vimeo.com/12154096

Based on lap times from sprint#1, I qualified very well for sprint #2 (12th overall, 2nd in G-class). So this time, I thought I'd just try to run as clean as possible, defend my position, and hope for a imstake from Barron Jacbos (G-class leader, who qualified 1st in G, and 3rd overall).  I got a much better start this time and ended up running most of the race nose-to-tail with Pete Debusman (silver H-class 993) and Dave Schenk.  I finally got by Pete (who made a mistake trying to get by Dave.  I've got to take my hat off to Dave Schenk for essentially running the entire race with either me or Pete on his tail, and he didn't make a single mistake and didn't give either of us an inch to get by him.  It's one thing to be on the hunt, it's another to stay focused in front and defend your position lap after lap after lap.  Fortunately, my prayers were answered and Barron Jacob had some type of mechanical issue on the last lap and didn't finish the race. I ended up with the G-class win and an 8th overall. 

It was definitely a learning experience, never having raced at the Glen before.  Very intimidating track, and lots of learning about where to pass and how to defend your position without sacrificing too much in lap times.  Thanks to all the RTR guys for being around for support and encouragement. 

- KennyB - 05-31-2010

Congrats, Glen

You done good. Looks like a lot of fun.

- bobt993 - 05-31-2010

Glen, 

You adjusted your entry into the outer loop a little going tighter which should have helped with stability.  The white turbo was way wide and late on turn in.  Not sure how he stayed in front of you that long wasting track position and momentum.  I would gather it had some heavy boost  on the turbo. Wink  Good race. 

- Mark Fox - 06-01-2010

Smile Glen..Congrats on the race.  Sounds like you had a great time.

- Racingswh - 06-01-2010

Nice Job Glen!  Great videos!!  Way to keep your nose clean and congrats on the win!!  Great racing!

Steve W. Hoagland

- Darren - 06-01-2010

Glen -- Congrats on the race!

- AMoore - 06-02-2010

Passing in the esses must tighten the glutes.  I know in DE, I always try to keep a good line because I try to be at full throttle all the way from Turn 1 (in a low to mid hp car of course).  To maintain that speed off line and in competitive traffic must be scary!  Great job!:dude: