Riesentöter Forums
Ford V10 Mileage - Printable Version

+- Riesentöter Forums (https://rtr-pca.org/forum)
+-- Forum: General Discussion (https://rtr-pca.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=25)
+--- Forum: Towing and Trailers (https://rtr-pca.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=45)
+--- Thread: Ford V10 Mileage (/showthread.php?tid=2533)

- JoeP - 01-09-2011

I was considering a Ford E-350 with a V10 as a tow vehicle.  Someone else grabbed it before I could see it in person.  Now that I have time to think, what mileage could I expect from a 2 wheel drive truck of that size if I used it as a day-to-day driver too?

- Wally - 01-09-2011

6 to 8 MPG.  If you're lucky maybe 10 with an empty truck and keeping it slow.  That's why those of us who have 250/2500 and 350/3500 trucks opt for the diesel.

- Jimbeau - 01-09-2011

I actually get pretty decent mileage (relatively speaking) with my Excursion, which has the 2-vavle configuration 6.8L V-10.  13-15 mpg highway and 7-9mpg towing a 24ft Haulmark full of car.  Not bad for a 7000lb vehicle.

To me torque is a bigger issue than mileage if you're going to use it for towing.  While the older 2-valve has 425 ft/lbs and the new 3-valve has ~ 450 ft/lbs, that just isn't enough to pull the vehicle itself much less tow another 10,000lbs.  It worked fine down in FL but up here it just doesn't get it done.

My next truck will definitley be a diesel, and probably not a Ford diesel.  Just my 2 cents.

- JoeP - 01-11-2011

Thanks for the input.  I'm in no rush, so I'll try to find a diesel van in decent shape.  They are much more rare than even V10 vans.

- Jimbeau - 01-11-2011

Joe,

I've seen them, but they tend to be new, and they are rare.  Excursion is almost as good as a van, but the diesels are rare to find for sale and expensive when you do.

good luck!

Jim

- ccm911 - 01-13-2011

Here is an eye-opener:

Watkins Glen is about 252 miles away from the Main Line.  At 9 miles per gallon(towing), it would take 28 gallons of fuel.  If Gas/Diesel is $4.00/gallon, your cost would be around $225.00 for the round trip.

OUCH!!!!

- Jimbeau - 01-13-2011

Tongue

A fact I'm all to familiar with.  

:dude: Try this one:  Round trip from the Lehigh Valley to Daytona for the 2009 Club Race & DE at 7mpg.   

It was totally worth it though.

- Brian Minkin - 01-13-2011

With diesel at $3.50 right now I have budgeted $1500 for fuel to go to Sebring and back the end of this month.  I get 10+ MPG towing.

- George3 - 01-14-2011

I was looking to upgrade from my Nissan Titan, to an F250.  I went
on to some of the Ford F-Forums to see what the skinny was on them.

Apparently, there was a lot of unfavorable comments relative to the
gas mileage, as being the worst when compared to other comparable
vehicles from Dodge and GM/Chevy.

At that time, Ford was in the process of redesigning the engine and
fuel delivery system.  I never went that route anyway, so not sure
what the results were; and stayed with the Titan.

If you do a google I'm sure you'll find everything you need to know.
Daily driver is one thing, but the towing comments are something to
consider.   Smile

GL

- JoeP - 02-07-2013

Wrap-up:  Thanks for your advice, Gentlemen.  I bought a 2006 E350 diesel last year.  On a trip to Pittsburgh in the Fall, it averaged 17 MPG, but it was basically empty.  I'll let you know the results once I get a trailer behind it.

Joe P.