Riesentöter Forums
Urban Youth Racing School - Printable Version

+- Riesentöter Forums (https://rtr-pca.org/forum)
+-- Forum: Club Activities (https://rtr-pca.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=24)
+--- Forum: Social (https://rtr-pca.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=55)
+--- Thread: Urban Youth Racing School (/showthread.php?tid=2754)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5

- SilverCroc - 10-06-2011

UYRS in a program with Temple University and the USN will be conducting engineering training for 22 high school students at the Navy Yard this fall. We will be holding classes on Saturdays from 0900-1330. They will be trained on internal combustion engines, including Diesels and Gas Turbines by our staff. We begin on the 22nd of October and go for 5 weeks. Is there any interest in getting together a group of our vehicles and people to talk to the students about high performance cars on one of the Saturdays? My day to be in is the 5th of November for Gas Turbines or I would be willing to stop in on the 22nd of October for the kick-off if there is enough interest. Please let me know here or e-mail at scott.duvall@navy.mil

Thanks,

Scott

- Craigs*84 - 10-09-2011

Hi Scott

This sounds like something I would like to help with . I was talking to two other RTR members about this post , and they are willing to help, display and or  talk with the students . (depending on the date) They are both educators and excited to help....

Me ... I just love cars...

Ill check back for more info.

Craig

- SilverCroc - 10-13-2011

Craig,

Should know more by Monday the 17th of Oct. Right now we're shooting for the 5th of November around 1200-1230 at the Navy Yard. Thanks for the interest, I think it would be a good time. Hopefully it will be a go.

Sunday looks like a driving day!

Scott

- SilverCroc - 10-17-2011

Craig,

We're a go for the 5th of November at the Navy Yard. I'd like for folks to roll in around 1200-1215 to get somewhat organized. I'll need names to give to security so you can get through the gate so please e-mail me at scott.duvall@navy.mil if you think you'll be able to make it. I'll be getting some hoagie trays and drinks so no one starves for lunch. Directions are easy - The Navy Yard is at the foot of Broad St. right by 95. After entering the main gate stay on Broad through the first 3 traffic lights, turn right at the 4th light which would be Kittyhawk. Proceed through the first stop sign and look for the large building on the left with a big 1000 in red on the front. There is a lot right in front of the building to park. If you go past the large ship in drydock, you went too far. We've got 22 students so the more the merrier.

Thanks Again,

Scott

- Craigs*84 - 10-18-2011

Hi Scott

November 5th sounds good I'm in. Ill relay the date and time , double check with the other guys to confirm. Ill email you directly late tonight or tomorrow morning with info & names.

Maybe we can all meet before the 5th to go over how we can best help out, make a plan, and know what to expect ?

looking forward to it..

Craig

- asher681 - 10-19-2011

Scott, are you planning on coming to the meeting tonight?  Joe 215-669-6323

- scwaters - 10-19-2011

I'll be there

Sunny Waters

- NumeroUnoPA - 10-21-2011

:?

Can I know what our role would be?  How long would we be there?

Cool

- SilverCroc - 10-21-2011

We would have the students available from 1230-1300 to look at the cars and be able to ask the drivers questions about the specific characteristics of their vehicles. I was looking for some to be able to speak to aero characteristics, suspension, braking, engine, etc. In other words being able to point out specific design features of the vehicle and how it improves performance over a typical sedan. After the students depart there has been some discussion about heading out for an informal drive and dinner.

Craig - As far as getting together, not a bad idea. I'm booked this weekend, but might be able to meet up next week or weekend. Let me know what works.

Thanks,

Scott

- NumeroUnoPA - 10-21-2011

Craig,

It sounds like a great idea and I would like to participate.  My fear is I have never been a "Gear Head" and may know less than the students.  Let me know if there is a way I can help.

Dave