Riesentöter Forums
100 Octane Unleaded Fuel - Printable Version

+- Riesentöter Forums (https://rtr-pca.org/forum)
+-- Forum: Club Activities (https://rtr-pca.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=24)
+--- Forum: Driver's Education (https://rtr-pca.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=29)
+--- Thread: 100 Octane Unleaded Fuel (/showthread.php?tid=3122)

Pages: 1 2 3 4

- Brian Minkin - 11-29-2011

Anyone know where to buy 100 Octane Unleaded in the Philadelphia Area? I know you can get it at the tracks but I need to buy it localy as well.

- Ben951 - 11-29-2011

Is there any reason why you cannot use 93 or similar and add toluene? It's inexpensive and does the trick, so I hear.

- Brian Minkin - 11-29-2011

The engine builder and tuner has advised against attempting to raise the octane of 93.  The Motronic EFI system is mapped to 100 or better and they believe that attempting to raise 93 would cause detonation.

- Wally - 11-30-2011

Hi Bri, I know that the Sunoco in Chestnut Hill has it at about $9.00 a gal.  Other than that try a local GA airport, they carry 100 LL (low lead) fuel and sometimes will sell it to you in your container.

- ccm911 - 11-30-2011

Brian, K and G on route 3 in Broomall. I know Doug used to buy his race fuel there, and it is not far from your house as well. I would give them a call. (610)359-1616

- JoeP - 11-30-2011

Brian:   I used to work in gasoline blending as a refinery engineer, and one octane point was hard.  Seven is impossible when you start from pump gas.  Refiners start with raw components, so they have the option of leaving out stuff that lower the average.  Raising the average is hard.      

1) Do not try to raise the Octane of 93 pump gasoline.  Toluene won't get you there.  Straight toluene is only 103 Octane.  Your final fuel would need to be 70% toluene to hit the theoretical octane rating, and it probably won't blend ideally, so you would need more.  Something that rich in one component would be very bad gasoline.  I have never seen one of those little-bottle octane gimmicks that comes even close to its claims.  Back in the day, MTBE was a better choice at 110 octane, but you can't find it any more.

2) If you no longer have catalytic converters, blending motor fuel with AvGas will work, but it is stone illegal.

3) I would use Sunoco 100 octane pump gas.  Unfortunately, the number of stations drops every year.  Most of the Pennsylvania stations are out in the boonies where people still build their own performance cars:

http://www.sunocoinc.com/site/Consumer/RaceFuels/260GT100Locations

Joe P.

- Phokaioglaukos - 11-30-2011

Wally wrote:
Quote:Sunoco in Chestnut Hill has it at about $9.00 a gal.
That's the Sunoco at the top of the Hill (10 E. Bethleham Pike), but it's labeled Cam2 leaded gas, which is actually Sunoco's "Standard" race gas:

"Sunoco® Standard™ is a 110 octane leaded race fuel that is commonly used in all forms of motorsports. It features a comprehensive additive package to enhance shelf life by improving stability and minimizing oxidation. Sunoco Standard is designed for compression ratios up to about 13:1 in conventional small block V8s, and can tolerate higher compression ratios in smaller or more efficient combustion chambers. It is also a good choice for mild nitrous, turbocharged, or supercharged applications."

You may want Sunoco 260 GT unleaded fuel and you can use the Sunoco Fuel Finder to find a local station.

- rhargy - 11-30-2011

Brian

There is a station north of Collegeville, about 1-2 miles that has the banner hanging out for 100. Can't swear to it though as I haven't stopped.

- Ben951 - 11-30-2011

After doing more reading, mixing in T to go from 93 to 100 would be a stretch, and T doesn't lubricate/do other things that a system designed for gas does...

Good to know about the Fuel Finder though, I like that option better than E85... I think.

- fasthonda - 11-30-2011

hey Brian.

I use 100LL AvGas in my Lotus. my comp ratio is 12.5:1. I've been using it for 11 years with no problems. cost for me is $5.20 per gallon. added benefit is that it is ultra stable and can sit in the tank for years and still be 'fresh'. Todd