Riesentöter Forums
Porsche Road Show NJMP - Printable Version

+- Riesentöter Forums (https://rtr-pca.org/forum)
+-- Forum: General Discussion (https://rtr-pca.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=25)
+--- Forum: Porsche-Related Discussion (https://rtr-pca.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=48)
+--- Thread: Porsche Road Show NJMP (/showthread.php?tid=3296)

Pages: 1 2 3

- MLCN911 - 06-19-2012

We had the pleasure to go to the Porsche road show in Millville, NJ. I drove the 2012 Panamera GTS. I hated the Panamera until today. They let you open it up on the track and only one word describes it, Wow! Still dont see the point of the Cayenne. Drove the Cayenne and I still hate it. The 911s was not that impressive either.  The regular 911 felt about the same on the track as the 911s. What was impressive was the 2013 Boxster.  My wife has a 2011 Boxster and believe me there is a huge difference. At 6'3' I am uncomfortable in my wifes 2011 Boxster after a few miles.  The added interior room is welcomed. The car looks good as well.  If the new Cayman is anything like the Boxster, I am driving my last 911 now. 

- emayer - 06-20-2012

I was there and agree with your sentiments exactly.

The Boxster S is a winner.  Frankly, at that price point I don't see the logic in a base Carrera or Carrera S.  I was underwhelmed by the 991s in general but came away loving the PDK for track use. (It hurts me to admit that!)

As for the Panamera GTS:  The soundtrack is worlds better than the turbo I currently own.  Having had the turbo for more than a year now as a daily driver, it is phenomenal from a driving dynamic and practical standpoint.  Even having the sports appearance package, aesthetics is another story.  This is really a car one grows to admire, rather than love at first glance...

While I love the sheer thrust of the turbo, I think the GTS makes more sense in terms of pricing and overall enjoyability.

Special thanks to Jim Sangiorgio at Knopf Porsche for arranging the visit!

- Phokaioglaukos - 06-20-2012

Got back from the morning session. It was well worth the time, and I very much enjoyed the new style Boxster. These were my first cars on track (well, a small bit of a small track) with PDK and I liked it much better than I thought I might. Two thumbs up!

- MLCN911 - 06-20-2012

I agree about the PDK, but get the sport design steering wheel so you can get a proper paddle shifter. The thumbnails shifter just won't cut it. I've driven a manual most of my adult life, but after using the PDK in my wifes car, I like the PDK(hate to admit it)but with proper paddle shifters, it's a hoot to drive.

- emayer - 06-20-2012

Absolutely. Paddles are a must-have option. I actually waited until they were released before placing the Panamera order. The wheel thumb switches are near-useless especially on track. The shift mapping in sport+ was so good I didn't really have the need to shift at all! Amazing transmission...

Glad I'm not the only one who liked the PDK on track. I expected to have been mercilessly flamed by now.... :dude:

- Phokaioglaukos - 06-21-2012

Eric, I didn't say I'd RACE a PDK...at least not yet.

- MLCN911 - 06-21-2012

I read that the next GT3 will be equipped with the PDK. Paddle shifters seems to be the way to go(Nissan GTR).
I just saw a actual pic of the new Cayman(not a rendering).
It will debut at the LA car show. FABULOUS looking!!!. I want mine Black with red interior and 20 inch carrera rims with the PDK(sports design steering wheel)so you can get the proper paddle shifters, not those thumb shifters. Cant wait to see it upclose.

- jimsanl8apex - 06-21-2012

I had a great time Eric. No need to thank me, It was enjoyable bringing P car enthusiasts such as Steve, Loren, David, and yourself. Glad you had the chance to try the new and improved PDK.

- emayer - 06-22-2012

The unfortunate reality is that for racing the manual gearbox will be relegated to Vintage classes in the near future.  Porsche is actually one of the few automakers left offering these although rumors abound regarding the next GT3s switching to PDK as well.  From what I've heard they may offer both transmissions initially although this hasn't been finalized.

The new Cayman promises to be an amzing driver's car.  Comparing the 991 to the Cayman/Boxster series, the 991 is evolutionary in development whereas the Boxster took a huge leap forward.  Understanding that car setup/optioning may have played some role in my impressions, the Boxster seems to have improved the driving experience while the 991 felt larger and more compliant.  Not sure if this represents a change in the target audience for the 991 series...

- MLCN911 - 06-22-2012

"With the PDK dual-clutch transmission, the Carrera S takes off from rest to 60mph in 3.9 seconds (an improvement of 0.2 seconds) and increases top speed to 191mph (up from 188mph)."

Thats GTR territory! I think Porsche got hammered by the GTR, and is seeing the light about dual clutch trannys.

Mike C