Riesentöter Forums
Summit Point Main Video - Printable Version

+- Riesentöter Forums (https://rtr-pca.org/forum)
+-- Forum: Club Activities (https://rtr-pca.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=24)
+--- Forum: Driver's Education (https://rtr-pca.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=29)
+--- Thread: Summit Point Main Video (/showthread.php?tid=3326)

- Racingswh - 11-06-2012

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jg-UFKXR-As

My first attempt with the Race-Keeper system.  Gives me some nice data and a few cameras to look at.  This is from Sunday morning.  Looked like John, Chris, Mike and I as well as everyone else had a great time.  Only cost me a couple bucks and a beer to have the driver in the Black GT3 block for me.  I was then able to put some serious distance on Chris and Steve allowing me to put down my quickest lap of the session. 

Car ran fine.  Pretty impressive for stock on street tires.  I believe I have a lot left as a driver.  Any comments and suggestions regarding driving or line would be much appreciated.  Limited shifting allowed for left foot braking everywhere except for into one.  I am not sure if any benefit would have been gained by going to second gear as I would run out of grip or gear before trackout. 

Thanks to all that made this great event possible!!

- bobt993 - 11-06-2012

Steve,

Turn in earlier with less wheel into T1 (there is a lot of room to the outside of T2). Use a larger radius and all the outside of T2 to unwind a bit more. A bit more gentle in T3, but you did a good job unwinding at the top. T5 is very grippy now so tossing the entire entry is losing a bit too much time. I fight the car back a bit to the middle for T5 (unless it is a race and you are defending). 140plus on the front straight looks like fun.

- Racingswh - 11-07-2012

Point taken on 1.  Makes good sense.  Supports more speed for the run up to three and it's a long corner. 

I feel so ridiculously slow in 3.  Are you saying I am too gentle into 3 or I am too abrupt and be more gentle?  I am thinking the former?

Keep the car more right into 5?  Even though I think there is another 5-8 mph in 4?  My point there is 4 is longer no?  I guess from a time perspective it could be shorter I guess.  I am guessing you're saying make the radius bigger and carry more speed through 5 instead of throwing it away like I do?

How about the Carousel itself?  Too shallow?  I do like to give myself that extra margin of error on the outside.  Going quick sometimes you need all the track and if you're already out there you can drop wheels and grip goes away.  Grass and dirt will do that Smile!

9 any thoughts?  Feels to me like I am ripping through 9 and 10 pretty well.

Straight is fun and easy.  Car makes good power.  Saw 151 on the GPS data.  That was the quickest. Almost every lap north of 145. Need to have the courage to go deeper before I go to the brakes.  Tough for me rolling up there like that and waiting to put on the brakes. 

What do you think Bob, 2 seconds left in this car in current configuration?  That's what I am thinking.  Maybe I am driving closer to the limit than I think but it cerrtainly doesn't feel like it to me. 

Thanks for your help.  Very much appreciated as always!! 

- bobt993 - 11-07-2012

Steve,

I can share some data with you. Gentle into T3 is a better line, but you need to unwind early as it flattens out. T1 and T5 are big time bandits because of the slow speed. Ideal T1 is well above 50mph and T5 Vmin is almost 60mph. Worth a second there easily. I would imagine that car is a handful. My best stock motor race lap (250whp) was a 1:20.3 and I was leaving a good second on the table during that race while I was battling with another car every lap. I thought your T9 was really good. A bit more entry into T10, but very good also. Email a lat/long gplot and speed versus distance to look at. Convert it to JPG or picture format. I would like to look at any brake pressure graphs you may have also. If your doing 150 on the front straight then I think there could be a 1:18 as the car sits now.

- Terry - 11-07-2012

I was running behind Chris and gave Steve a pass early in the session. Sort of stayed with the Viper for a turn or two. Then the straight, and his rear camera shows me turning into a speck in no time at all. Very impressive.

- Phokaioglaukos - 11-08-2012

I made the mistake of watching from 12:00 for a minute or so, and my blood started boiling again.

Nice session, Steve!

- Racingswh - 11-08-2012

I am guessing he has seen lot's of Porsches and not too many Vipers so he was just taking his time looking it over and wasn't paying much attention to what was behind him.  He may have even looked up and thought "hey look it's just Chris in his Cup car and the CI in his Radical bearing down on me.  I will wait til the track is good and straight before I point them by, safety first!"  Big Grin

That was fun for me.  It was neat to be close to the same speed as other cars.  That's what made it so cool.  Before when we had the GTR, especially in less than optimum weather, it was easy to drive and you mowed past cars with no real thought or driving drama of any kind.  The Viper is a bit different.  With no nannies except for ABS it requires your attention. 

I thought that was you Terry.  I didn't think there was another white GT3 out there with us.  Your pace is really good.  Quicker than I was in the corners.  That Viper does make good power and pulls hard when the road straightens doesn't it?  Obviously slower through the corners than the Cup cars but pulls harder on the straights. 

It was our third event in the car and I think the 9th or 10th session I had driven the car on a track.  Jim and I are really looking forward to next season and becoming more familiar with and more comfortable in the car.