Riesentöter Forums
A new can of worms - promotion criteria - Printable Version

+- Riesentöter Forums (https://rtr-pca.org/forum)
+-- Forum: Club Activities (https://rtr-pca.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=24)
+--- Forum: Driver's Education (https://rtr-pca.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=29)
+--- Thread: A new can of worms - promotion criteria (/showthread.php?tid=348)

- catchacab - 03-11-2007

Jack and the other instructors,

This topic has been touched upon before, but we should talk about promotion.  I have driven with many different instructors with different levels of experience, different cars, and from many regions.   I classified the instructors based on one criteria (which I will post later in this tread) where the criteria for advancement is consistent within the classes.

So what does RTR look for to advance a student?  And what does RTR look for to make someone an instructor?

-Eric

- Larry Herman - 03-11-2007

Without specifically answering your question (because I don't have the time right now) I will say that advancement should occur only when you are driving at the next level at the beginning of the weekend, not at the end.  Most people can get going when they have had 5 or 6 sessions of direct instruction.  You are ready for the next level when you have sufficiently developed and assimilated those skills so that they are still there when you start that first morning.

- bobt993 - 03-11-2007

What Larry said..... Smile   It is easy to coach someone to a better level, but that does not engrain the skill set.  I have learned to alternate sessions with a student by giving verbal input then telling them next session I want you to process the first 5 laps on your own.   If I say something during that time, it is because I need to!!!!!!

The 5 minute conversation with the instructor before going on the track should express any goals a driver has before the event commences.  That should include what they need help on and have already mastered and the "don't know" list.   Larry does a good job with the "don't knows".  This is important, because a driver is not always aware of little "ticks" or bad habits that occur while driving.  Instructors need to look for these issues and aid in correcting them. Big Grin

- jakp993 - 03-12-2007

This seems like it could be a loaded topic Smile

Larry hit the nail on the head of when the student must exhibit the skills/awareness to be considered for promotion.

However, that doesn't answer what we look for to be considered for promotion.

I know there is some variability among our instructors when it comes to promotion criteria today. 

One thing Brian Smith did a few years back was identify a couple of "checkout" instructors per event.  I happened to be one of them on a regular basis.  It was my job to decide who was promoted, and who wasn't.  That certainly reduced the variability as you only had a couple of people deciding who was promoted.  We moved away from this as it became a bit of a bottleneck and it took a couple of senior instructors out of the mix from an instructing standpoint. 

Unless we reinstate a policy like this (which we will discuss), there will always be some variability in the decision process as the criteria entails individual judgement and subjectivity.  However, it is my goal to reduce the variability as much as we can so students know what's expected of them.  This will be one of the main topics at our upcoming pre-season Instructors Seminar.

The criteria is more stringent for instructors.  Instructors have to exhibit all the appropriate advanced driving skills, knowledge and track awareness.  They also have to be incredibly effective communicators and be able to express complex information & instructions simply & clearly.  They must be calm under pressure and be patient.  They must be willing to give freely of themselves & their time and be able to take charge of a situation immediately.  They also must project the appropriate attitude, maturity & demeanor we want associated with our DE program and club.

All of the above gets them an invitation to attend a PCA National Instructor Training Class.  They must successfully complete (not everybody does) this comprehensive instructor training program that includes multiple hours of classroom work, a written test, and multiple role play exercises.  This may happen over the course of a weekend, but in many cases, the role play, coaching and mentoring continues over several events. 

Take care,
Jack

- Racingswh - 03-13-2007

Why are other regions requirements for student drivers different? Are there any efforts being made to standardize the ranking system in some way?  If this has been touched on before I apologize but I haven't seen it.    

- stentech - 03-14-2007

I read some where in the DE handbook that when you safely lap everyone in your run group you will promoted. It was in fine print that required an electron microscope to read.

- Hammerin Hank - 03-15-2007

Expense equipment + drivers' lives on the line = concerned group of people. I think ultimately you need to show that group of concerned people that you're safe enough and quick enough to run with them. That's a very general statement, but that's really what it boils down to. With a lot of people driving around in 100K+ cars (Steve H. excluded Wink), do you blame them?

- Racingswh - 03-15-2007

Hammerin Hank wrote:
Quote:With a lot of people driving around in 100K+ cars (Steve H. excluded Wink)

Funny Hank!! Watch out though or the hooptie will leave paint marks. Just ask Mr. I will turn down on you in my BMW and now I have to go home guy. lol!! Damn I still feel bad about that.

What I meant was a few years ago I ran with a region from the western part of the state (can't remember the right now) and everyone other than instructors started the weekend with instructors. In my very first event I had a guy, Carl Geisler, who was a great guy and we had so much fun at VIR that weekend, but he was in White and yet still an instructor. I am not sure why there are these differences.

As far as promotion to the next level stuff is concerned I don't think it's a very big deal. When I started driving in the club it was so much fun and such a great bang for the buck I didn't care what run group I was in. At that time I was racing in the Skip Barber Dodge racing series and as I recall eligible to race in most events with any sanctioning body in the country. So IMO run group is meaningless. Just go out and have an awesome time and kearn as much as you can.

- stentech - 03-15-2007

The nice thing about the run group structuring is that as the pace goes up so does the competency level of the drivers. I feel 100% confident in the people I am running with in my run group. They are all good drivers that make safe decisions and value their safety and equipment as much as I do. This comfort level is created by the strict promotional criteria that has been a part of rtr for some time. We are very lucky to be running with this group of drivers.

SM