Riesentöter Forums
996 Rotor Replacement - Printable Version

+- Riesentöter Forums (https://rtr-pca.org/forum)
+-- Forum: Tech (https://rtr-pca.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=22)
+--- Forum: Ask the Tech Chair (https://rtr-pca.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=34)
+--- Thread: 996 Rotor Replacement (/showthread.php?tid=35)

Pages: 1 2

- smankow - 08-03-2006

at tech next weekend I am planning on changing the rotors on my 996.  They have more than a few spider cracks that are too long to pass PA inspection. Sad

Besides the rotors, what other parts, supplies, items, etc. will I need to bring with me and to what level will I torque the caliper bolts?

Steve

- Mike Andrews - 08-03-2006

Steve,

Whatever you do, don't forget the M&M's Big Grin

- smankow - 08-03-2006

regular or peanut????

I prefer the regular

- skartisc - 08-04-2006

smankow wrote:
Quote:at tech next weekend I am planning on changing the rotors on my 996. They have more than a few spider cracks that are too long to pass PA inspection. Sad

Besides the rotors, what other parts, supplies, items, etc. will I need to bring with me and to what level will I torque the caliper bolts?

Steve
According to the Bentley manual for the 986 which should have the same procedure, you will need a new set of caliper bolts. They have a 10mm Allen wrench head and are torqued to 63 ft-lbs (85 Nm).

Other than that you'll need to support the caliper so it doesn't hang by its brake line while you are swapping rotors and I'd recommend cleaning the contact surface of the rotors so that your first brake application doesn't result in an unexpected collision. Luckily there should not be a shortage of people willing to help at the tech day.

Steve

- Larry Herman - 08-07-2006

Steve,  I don't see the need for new caliper bolts.  I have never heard of them breaking, and unless they come out very rusty/corroded, I'd just re-use them.

- Phokaioglaukos - 08-14-2006

Larry Herman wrote:
Quote:Steve, I don't see the need for new caliper bolts. I have never heard of them breaking, and unless they come out very rusty/corroded, I'd just re-use them.
Larry, when I replaced my OEM rotors with the AP Racing variety I got spacers from CDOC along with longer bolts. I needed them to fit the larger disc. The instructions did say, however, to replace the bolts any time the rotor was changed. I asked CDOC about that and the answer I got was that the race teams just don't do that. I guess it falls into the category of a Good Idea that is not followed by many.

- smankow - 08-19-2006

Quote:Steve,  I don't see the need for new caliper bolts.  I have never heard of them breaking, and unless they come out very rusty/corroded, I'd just re-use them

Larry, the bolts were fine, so I simply reused them.  I was, however, only able to change the front discs due to operator error and bad info.  I didn't have the correct rear rotors, but was able to sell them to a few track junkie  Big Grin

Steve

- Darren - 08-30-2006

They call for replacement because the bolts have a special anti-seize treatment on them.  I've never replaced mine, and they seem to come out without any trouble.

What you should inspect, however, is the dust boots around the pistons.  Most of us are trashing our 996 piston dust boots pretty quickly, like every 4 events or so.  As we all get faster, these things become more and more of a problem.

- smankow - 09-04-2006

do the 996 rotors come with a protective coating on them?  If so, what should be used to remove it prior to mounting the rotors?

Steve

- Larry Herman - 09-04-2006

Either CRC Brakleen or good old fashion lighter fluid will cut right through that oily film.