Riesentöter Forums
981 Boxster Front Brake Pad Replacement - Printable Version

+- Riesentöter Forums (https://rtr-pca.org/forum)
+-- Forum: Tech (https://rtr-pca.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=22)
+--- Forum: Ask the Tech Chair (https://rtr-pca.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=34)
+--- Thread: 981 Boxster Front Brake Pad Replacement (/showthread.php?tid=3783)

981 Boxster Front Brake Pad Replacement - cmac - 07-18-2014

First-time DIY brake change for my 2013 981 Boxster and I'm a little stuck at the brake pad wear indicator... No matter what I try, I can't seem to pop the bugger out.

I've found a couple Planet-9 forum entries about this but the guys writing don't seem to care and their solution is to cut the wire to the sensor.

Is this a reusable part? The new pads have a slot where it should pop into--assuming I can get it out.

I actually checked the Porsche service manual online and the step says "Detach line for brake pad wear indicator from brake caliper and brake pad." Nothing else mentioned on the subject.

There are plenty of videos online that cover the rears in much detail since they're the same as the 987s. (VERY easy, no removing the caliper.) The fronts, however, have been redesigned and there's not much to be found on this. This is where I hope you guys can help steer me in the right direction!!

Attached are a few photos of the offending sensor.

-Corey

RE: 981 Boxster Front Brake Pad Replacement - David Newton - 07-19-2014

Corey... In prior models you could use a small screw driver and simply pry them off. You had to be careful not to damage them or they would then need to be replaced. That's an unnecessary expense since as long as the sensors don't wear to the point of use (making contact and sending an alert) they can be reused.

Many shops suggest waiting for that to occur and then just charge you a hundred bucks each. Admittedly Planet 9 and the cayman register cover this area poorly saying just pop them off or replace. Your pictures are reminiscent of my 2009 Cayman; there doesn't appear to be a difference. Hope this helps.

RE: 981 Boxster Front Brake Pad Replacement - saucerman - 07-19-2014

looks like someone getting ready for the Glen

RE: 981 Boxster Front Brake Pad Replacement - STEVEMCMORN - 07-20-2014

answer depends on how long you intend to have the car and how many DEs you plan to do

if (i) long time or (b) many more, don't bother - just cut lead and tie it up so don't need to keep replacing as you burn thru brake pads

If you are doing DEs, you should be keeping a careful eye on brake pads anyway.

when come to sell, re-connect (in a professional and sublet manner) so not emphasis car has been tracked ……..

RE: 981 Boxster Front Brake Pad Replacement - cmac - 07-21-2014

Thanks for the replies! Still haven't been able to find out conclusively whether the sensors on this new design are meant to be replaced every time, but given the cost of $15 per set, I'm starting to think that's the case.

I'm actually not too concerned about having a functional sensor since it's easy enough to check the pads, just would want to avoid an alarm going off constantly...

-Corey

RE: 981 Boxster Front Brake Pad Replacement - ccm911 - 07-22-2014

See that metal that is alongside the wires? That is the spring clip that holds the sensor in place. I usually use a pair of needle nose pliers to pinch both sides inwards, and then the sensor should pop right out. But a lot of times, they get really stuck in there, and you have to break them to remove.

And yes, these are made to be replaced. They look like standard issue items, and should cost about $25 each.

RE: 981 Boxster Front Brake Pad Replacement - cmac - 07-22-2014

Chris,

Thanks for the reply. It seems pretty obvious in hindsight. I tried the needle nose initially and then paired it with a flat-head to pry while I pulled and after no luck figured I was missing something. I ordered the sensors, and with shipping from Pelican Parts $25 was about what they cost.

-Corey