Riesentöter Forums
RTR Run Group Promotion Criteria - Printable Version

+- Riesentöter Forums (https://rtr-pca.org/forum)
+-- Forum: Club Activities (https://rtr-pca.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=24)
+--- Forum: Driver's Education (https://rtr-pca.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=29)
+--- Thread: RTR Run Group Promotion Criteria (/showthread.php?tid=420)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5

- jakp993 - 04-03-2007

Gang,

As I indicated in previous posts, promotion criteria and procedures were the major topic at the 2007 RTR Instructor Clinic.

We had over 40 instructors attend the seminar.  We had a productive discussion and reached consensus on the criteria for promotion from one run group to the other.

As with anything that involves human judgement, these are inherently subjective and there will be differences in interpretation.  However, agreeing on criteria and the steps we will follow to improve our consistency are major positive steps.

We all agreed these need to be public.  I will be covering them in the classroom sessions, they will be posted to the website, and will covered in a der Gasser column.

However, you forum rats get to be first to see them.

We understand that by publicizing these we are inviting you to question why you have not been promoted since you may think you have met all of the criteria.  Knowing the criteria allows you to have a productive discussion with your instructor about your opinion.

However, please do not badger your instructor.  You will see that patience is an important aspect of all promotions and that patience needs to be seen both on and off track.

Here they are:

Promotion from Green to Blue - Required Skills[indent]Drives the line reasonably accurately and consistently
Drives at an appropriate pace for the Blue group
Inputs increasingly smooth
Makes few mistakes and self corrects
Calm and patient in traffic
Fully aware of corner stations
Anticipates slower cars in front
Does not give or accept late passing signals
Passes with good safety margins
Exhibits good manners and consideration
Displays full knowledge of procedures, flags, terminology
Is safe to drive alone
[/indent]Promotion from Green to Blue - other criteria[indent]Student must exhibit above skills at the beginning of the event
Student must have a minimum of 6 days at 3 different tracks within a year
Ideally a student will have experienced every track we run
[/indent]Promotion from Blue to White - required skills[indent]Demonstrates patience in potentially frustrating situations
Uses the full track consistently
Very smooth inputs, especially braking
Vision at least 3 seconds out
Carries reasonable momentum into corners
Practices smooth downshifting technique (e.g. heel & toe)
Demonstrates competent car control and recovery skills
Prompt and courteous passing signals
Good driving record for two events minimum
Calmly deals with fast traffic and close passing
Completely safe without an instructor
Demonstrates full compliance with Region DE philosophy
[/indent]Promotion from Blue to White - other criteria[indent]Typically a season’s worth (16 - 20 days) of experience in Blue
Must demonstrate White ability at more than one track
Must successfully complete a “test drive�? in White
    Assigned instructor takes student out in White to observe behavior
    This is an observation session with no instruction provided
Must get 2nd opinion from another RTR instructor
    Assigned instructor asks another RTR instructor to take student out for an
        observation session in White
    Student graduated to White if both instructors agree
Assigned instructor completes event with student in White
[/indent]Promotion from White to Black - required skills[indent]Exceptional track awareness
Exceptionally smooth inputs
Demonstrates patience, can control ego
Anticipates vs. reacts
Calmly deals with wide variety closing speeds
Readily adapts to new & changing conditions
Drives at appropriate pace for Black group
Comfortable in close to race conditions
[/indent]Promotion from White to Black - other criteria[indent]Must be able to keep pace in Black
Typically a minimum of a season’s worth (16 - 20 days) of experience in White
Believe student has capability to be an instructor
Must complete check out ride in Black with designated check out instructor
[/indent] Steps to achieve consistency[indent]Criteria made public
Out of Region instructors require 2nd opinion from RTR instructors for all graduations
Promotion from Green to Blue
    Any RTR instructor can decide
    2nd Opinion optional
Promotion from Blue to White
    Any RTR instructor can initiate
    2nd opinion from any RTR instructor required
Promotion from White to Black
    Any RTR instructor can initiate
    2nd opinion from designation check-out instructor required
Graduation notebook
    One page per student - similar to log book
    Must be completed by assigned & 2nd opinion (if required) instructors

[/indent]There you go - no more mysteries Big Grin

Take care,
Jack

- Tony356993 - 04-03-2007

Great detail Jack. This information will make it much easier for students to know where they stand and for instructors to understand RTR's policy.

Students should be able to use this info to evaluate their own situation. If you want to progress as a driver you now know what it takes to advance - in advance.

As the criteria shows, there is no substitute for track time. The more track time you have, the more things you will see, feel & hear. You will also be put in different situations out on the track and learn to anticipate multiple scenarios.

Notice: Being the fastest in your group is not what RTR is looking for to advance you to the next run group.

The proper foundation is very important to achieve speed safely. The vehicles can be engineered to be fast but the driver gets "engineered" with experience & track time to become fast. Did someone mention track time..........Big Grin

- Tony356993 - 04-03-2007

Just a quick tally from above:

smooth  - 3 mentions

calm       - 3 mentions

patience**   - 3 mentions

Manners/Courteous - 2 mentions

** patience is required on track AND in the paddock. Big Grin

- michael lang - 04-03-2007

I'm glad to hear the Instructor Clinic was productive. Having this criteria shows me that the RTR Instructors are genuinely interested in teaching things properly so all of us students will be evaluated on the same level and I especially like the emphasis that being the fastest does not neccessarily mean automatic advancement. We all have are own learning curve, some pick things up quicker than others.

Thank you so much for taking the time to do this.

- Larry Herman - 04-04-2007

Absolutely the best way I have seen to lay out what is expected.  Makes you wonder why it wasn't done long ago.  Now each student can concentrate on learning the required skills, not just trying to go fast to be moved up.  Wish I could have made that seminar.  Kudos Jack.

- Terry - 04-04-2007

It was both remarkable and comforting to see the unanimity in the room in reaching these criteria.

- Tony356993 - 04-04-2007

Terry,

I agree. Newbies and fossils alike found common ground and it was an informative discussion.

- bobt993 - 04-04-2007

But Jack left out the part about buying instructors beer during the event.........Big Grin

- pnolan - 04-04-2007

Great deal of information and most appreciated.  From reading all of the posts and attending RTR DE events for the past year and half my perspective has been:

1) Drivers with prior experience and decently powered cars should get out of the green group faster than they do when they demonstrate from their first, second, or maybe as long as third DE events that they have track awareness and are safe drivers,

2) Its extremely frustrating to do four, five, six events in Green when you're overtaking other less experienced Green Group drivers at 50-60 mph on straights because your carrying momentum through corners and they're not and they have absolutely no track awareness or attention paid to their mirrors,

3) Once you get out of Green I don't see much of an issue about speed of advancement as all of the things that drove me crazy and took the fun out of DE in Green (no pass signals for two or three consecutive laps) do not seem to be an issue in the RTR Blue Group.  While there are some slower drivers and slower cars they all have their heads up and are aware that you're either coming or are there already and pass signals are rarely slow to come.

4) A lot of the posts about advancement etc. seem to come from people with limited driving experience and fast cars.  I've been on the track with a number of them and haven't had them in my mirrors yet, and they're in higher HP cars then mine, so they've got some 'learnin to do on carrying momentum it would seem,

5) We all need to bear in mind that this is a "club" and we're all out to have a fun, yet safe time.  Most of us (me included) have "A" type personalities, so its difficult for us to go out and just enjoy the activity without being competitive about it.  We all need to take a deep breath before your session starts and remember what you're trying to accomplish - take your car out on the track at high speed, learn and practice increasing your skills and driving ability and have a good time doing it while at the same time acknowledging there are going to be different people, with different learning curves, and different car capabilities on the track with you at the same time.

Burt Reynolds would propose a "Man Rule" - he who complains about not moving up in run group assignment automatically stays in the current group for another two or three events.  You need to be patient, practice your craft, and say "get the f... out of my way, PLEASE" under your breath while displaying the epitome of patience, tact, and safe separation to your instructor and fellow drivers.

BTW - when do I get promoted to White?  I know - read the criteria and work on it.  Thanks for the great information on promotion criteria.  Its most appreciated.

Pat

- smankow - 04-04-2007

bobt993 wrote:
Quote:But Jack left out the part about buying instructors beer during the event.........Big Grin
rumor has it that this will be covered in Jack's intro to the track at each and every event!!!! [Image: drink.gif]I even think that Larry will cover it in his White classroom, too. [Image: beerchug.gif]