Riesentöter Forums
Help choosing new track tires for the 993 - Printable Version

+- Riesentöter Forums (https://rtr-pca.org/forum)
+-- Forum: Club Activities (https://rtr-pca.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=24)
+--- Forum: Driver's Education (https://rtr-pca.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=29)
+--- Thread: Help choosing new track tires for the 993 (/showthread.php?tid=524)

Pages: 1 2 3

- JeffConklin - 05-08-2007

I have a set of Toyo T1-R's that I hate.  I'll be putting new tires on before Pocono so no time to waste.  Any input would be greatly appreciated.  Here are the specs:

Green / Blue Student - 10 - 12 track days this year

'95 993

Upgraded Springs and dampers front and rear

RS Sway bars

Big Red Brakes

Looking at Pilot Sport PS2's 235F/275R

Nitto NT01 235/275

Yokohama Advan Neova AD07 235/285

Any and all thoughts appreciated

Jeff

- LouZ - 05-08-2007

I'm surprised to read that you hate the T-1R's. I have them and like the overall performance that I'm getting. I bought them as a "Street ->Track" tire and especially like their wet traction in everyday driving.

I had the Michelin Pilots prior to these and they were a good "Track->Street" tire, but wore out too quickly, in my opinion.

I understand that the Nitto is an off-chute of Toyo.

- LouZ - 05-08-2007

I'm surprised to read that you hate the T-1R's. I have them and like the overall performance that I'm getting. I bought them as a "Street ->Track" tire and especially like their wet traction in everyday driving.

I had the Michelin Pilots prior to these and they were a good "Track->Street" tire, but wore out too quickly, in my opinion.

I understand that the Nitto is an off-chute of Toyo.

- JeffConklin - 05-08-2007

As a street tire I really like the T1-R.  At Shenandoah they were just plain greasy.  I was really surprised since I had the T1-S on my last car and loved them. 

So I'll keep them for the street and get a second set for track fun.  I've heard very good things about the nitto, and I can get the sizes I want.  Decisions, decisions.

Jeff

- jmr3 - 05-08-2007

Jeff:

Maybe think about the Pilot Sport Cups.  They are expensive but wear and stick quite well.  With the number of track days you are doing and the hint of keeping your streets for the street, they might be a good next step.  However, alot of people might advise you to stick with streets for a while longer as they are a wonderful learning tool.  I did so for several years.  Your call. 

John

- Tony356993 - 05-08-2007

Stick with street tires for now. PS2's are a good combo tire for your car and your level.

- bobt993 - 05-08-2007

Jeff, 

No tires feels great at Shenandoah.  It's the tracks camber. 

- betegh9 - 05-08-2007

JeffConklin wrote:
Quote:I have a set of Toyo T1-R's that I hate. I'll be putting new tires on before Pocono so no time to waste. Any input would be greatly appreciated. Here are the specs:

Green / Blue Student - 10 - 12 track days this year

'95 993

Upgraded Springs and dampers front and rear

RS Sway bars

Big Red Brakes

Looking at Pilot Sport PS2's 235F/275R

Nitto NT01 235/275

Yokohama Advan Neova AD07 235/285

Any and all thoughts appreciated

Jeff

Jeff,

I don't realy know the toyos you are using, but I use unshaved toyo RA-1 for the street and track and AX. they are a great rain tire, and on the dry, as they wear, the better they stick. I believe that they are the best tire for the $$$$. Also true, that you should add another year of experience before moving to these tires.

:dude::dude:

- larrybard - 06-06-2008

Jeff,

Any decision?  I'm in somewhat the same situation: When I finish Jefferson/Summit next week I intend to purchase a new set of street/track tires, before WGI for my '95 993.

Larry

- betegh9 - 06-06-2008

Same answer, TOYOS. Also, depends on your track exerience............ If you are fairly new at it, good hi performance street tire for the track is fine, but if you have been at track for a couple of years, Toyos or Michelin sports will work as double duty, street/ track.