Riesentöter Forums
3.0L engine for Sale w/ Webers and Electromotive ignition - Printable Version

+- Riesentöter Forums (https://rtr-pca.org/forum)
+-- Forum: Classifieds (https://rtr-pca.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=26)
+--- Forum: For Sale (https://rtr-pca.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=50)
+--- Thread: 3.0L engine for Sale w/ Webers and Electromotive ignition (/showthread.php?tid=769)

- rmshaner - 09-26-2007

1980 911SC engine

Price: $4800 with Carburetors and Electromotive Ignition

$3200 with everything except Carburetors and Ignition

Miles: 76,000

Modifications:

It has been modified by adding a pair of Weber 40-IDA 3C carburetors, electromotive crank-fire ignition, backdated 1974 and earlier exhaust, and Carrera pressure fed chain tensioners.

Description:

1.  The engine is a 1980 3.0L engine out of a 911SC showing 76,000 miles, serial number: 6403142.  I am selling the engine because the car has proven to be too rusty for me to manage the repairs.  My only complaint with the engine is that the carburetors made it fairly challenging to start when the engine was cold.  The 40 IDA-3C carburetors do not have a choke so getting airflow up to speed enough to pull the fuel through the carburetors is challenging at first.  Aside from that the engine ran flawlessly.   I cleaned and installed new gaskets in the carburetors this summer.  The throttle shafts did not have any play in them.  Because of the recent teardown the carburetors will have to be tuned to run properly. 

2.  I’ve checked for broken head-studs and have found no evidence that this is a problem.  New valve cover gaskets and hardware will be put onto the engine before it is sold.  I want any potential buyer to be able to look inside there if they wish so I have not installed the new gaskets yet. 

3.  The clutch which is included has been updated to the spring type, instead of the rubber puck type. 

4.  Although some of the engine tin is not pictured I have all of it and will put it onto the engine before it is sold. 

5.  The engine has backdated heat on it, and new hoses that run from the fan housing down to the heat exchangers. 

6.  I can include a brand new Oil line hose (pelican part number 911-107-729-10-M20) for an additional $125.  It retails for $137.  This oil line is necessary if you are planning on continuing to use the backdated heat exchangers on 1975 and later cars.   

7.  I also have new spark plugs included. 

8.  I can include the oil tank with the breather filter for $75.    

The carbureted engine is not for everyone.  So I have also made it available at a lower cost without the carbs or the electromotive ignition system.  This would be a relatively cheap way to get into an SC engine with a $3,200 long block including fan, alternator, clutch etcetera you would have to purchase a CIS injection system and a distributor to have a complete engine.   

Problems:

1.  The 1974 and earlier heat exchangers are starting to show their age.  They have rusted fairly badly and should be replaced.  I don’t believe that the heat exchangers affect the way the car ran at all, but it is something that should be brought to a buyers’ attention.

2.  There is an oil leak around the #1 cylinder.  I believe it is either a leak from the rocker arm shaft or a leak from the mating surface between the head and the cam tower.  You can see the oil sediment build up around the #1 cylinder with the red arrow as compared to the green arrow in the #2 cylinder, in the photograph.

*there is no guarantee or warranty that comes with this engine.  I’ve tried my best to accurately describe it to the best of my abilities.  I will help to ship the engine, but shipping costs are the buyers’ responsibility.  If the buyer is relatively local (Philadelphia) and we can arrange a drop off I’ll go out of my way to help deliver the engine.

[Image: Compressed+engine1170956113.jpg]

[Image: P10100021170956243.jpg]

[Image: P10100031170956283.jpg]

HERE YOU CAN SEE WHERE THE OIL LEAK IS:

[Image: Compressed+Oil+leak+w+arrows1170956349.jpg]

This is video I have before the engine was removed from the car

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HH_WJ1ga-i4