Riesentöter Forums
Portable GPS - Printable Version

+- Riesentöter Forums (https://rtr-pca.org/forum)
+-- Forum: General Discussion (https://rtr-pca.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=25)
+--- Forum: Off-Topic (https://rtr-pca.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=49)
+--- Thread: Portable GPS (/showthread.php?tid=783)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

- M491 - 07-29-2007

Please advise your recommended choice for a portable GPS and purchase location.

Thanks

MB

- Wellardmac - 07-29-2007

Garmin Nuvi 350 - has all the bells and whistles, but none of the junk that you don't need.

Circuitcity.com currently has the best prices on new and refurbished units of most brands of GPS units

Smile

- dmano - 07-29-2007

Just got the  Magellan Maestro 4040 super user friendly. Tried 10 different manufacturers through work and like the 4040 the best and it is Bluetooth enabled. Simple screen use and menu options. Had the other half using it in under 2 minutes without my help. Circut City in Delaware off 202   "NO TAX"  best price. If you buy on line you must ship it back for repairs or exchange but if you buy in the store they will take it back there and give you an exchange.

P/S Always get the extended contract, as my unit goes from car to car and on planes for work.

- smankow - 07-30-2007

did you get the AAA version that includes all of the AAA POI's?

I saw that model at Best Buy and it was very easy to use.

- dmano - 07-30-2007

Hi Steve,

Yes it has the AAA info and free for 3 months road traffic service.

- Wellardmac - 07-30-2007

I've never found the extended warranties to be of much value.

It all depends on how you use the equipment, but if you treat something well, then usually it doens't fail before the extended period is over. 

The only exception I've seen to this rule was me buying an extended warranty on my wife's iPod, but that was because she not careful with stuff like that and is always dropping it.  It was the only time in 20 years that I've bought and used an extended warranty.

- AMoore - 07-30-2007

My Verizon cell phone has gps capability.  Its like ten bucks a month or 3 dollars per day if you don't use it often.   Works just like the others.  voice tells you which way to go and I use it with a blue tooth.

- AMoore - 07-30-2007

If interested in a new Verizon phone that has GPS, I recommend the LG Envy.

- M491 - 07-30-2007

Thank you all for your feedback!

Donna B.

- dmano - 07-30-2007

Wellardmac wrote:
Quote:I've never found the extended warranties to be of much value.

It all depends on how you use the equipment, but if you treat something well, then usually it doens't fail before the extended period is over.

The only exception I've seen to this rule was me buying an extended warranty on my wife's iPod, but that was because she not careful with stuff like that and is always dropping it. It was the only time in 20 years that I've bought and used an extended warranty.
I had an extended warranty on my Audi 2.7 twin turbo and it cost 3600.00 but I used it for a total repair value of 10200.00 over 2 years. I also have an extended contract with Circut City for my SkiFi XM radio unit as it goes from my Exped to the Rover then to my house and my boat and work car and they have replaced/upgraded the unit 6 times over 4 years along with the boom box for the unit and 8 antenna's. All at no cost to me.
For these types of products the few dollars it cost is well worth it. I am very carefull of my stuff but as you know sh^&%t happens.